Saturday, October 20, 2007

DC Preview Review for January

Jim: Not a lot of new numbers one from DC, but that’s okay as a fair number of titles are having new creative teams taking over and some good jumping on points. Plus I enjoy occasionally focusing on the series themselves as opposed to just the shiny and new.
Gwen: Some good things and some bad things this month. DC looks to have a solid start to the new year planned out, as well as a few things thrown in for fun.
Lee: Maybe this will be DC’s year. A chance to wrap everything up for another big mega event! WHEEEE!!!!

TEEN TITANS: YEAR ONE #1 Written by Amy WolframArt by Karl Kerschl & Serge LapointeCover by KerschlWriter Amy Wolfram (Teen Titans animated series) joins rising star artist Karl Kerschl (ALL-FLASH #1, ROBIN) for a colorful reimagining of how the Teen Titans came together! See how these teammates bonded, and overcame the sheer awkwardness of being teenagers in this explosive 6-issue miniseries that guest-stars the Justice League of America! You may think you know Robin, Wonder Girl, Kid Flash and Aqualad…but you don't really know the original Teen Titans!On sale January 2 o 1 of 6 o 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US
Jim: I hate to start on a down note, but I’m a little hesitant on this series. Lately DC has been putting out some mini-series that are not grabbing my attention. I have dropped Wonder Girl and Metamorpho Year One after one issue and this could be another one issue sampler and forget it.
Gwen: Why are we re-imagining this? *sigh* I'd like new stories please, not variations of old ones.
Lee: I really don’t know who this is for. Does anyone want the original Titans???? And, I do believe that is the worst drawn Aqualad ever. Kerschl did know that Aqualad is alive right????

TEEN TITANS: THE LOST ANNUAL Written by Bob HaneyArt by Jay Stephens & Mike AllredCover by Nick CardyDon't miss the TEEN TITANS LOST ANNUAL, featuring the original Teen Titans: Robin, Kid Flash, Wonder Girl, Speedy and Aqualad! Classic Teen Titans writer Bob Haney sends the Titans into space to rescue President John F. Kennedy in this story illustrated by Jay Stephens (The Land of Nod) & Mike Allred (Madman, X-Statix)! Meet new alien races, witness a startling betrayal, and more! It's a secret space adventure that couldn't be told…'til now!On sale January 9 o 64 pg, FC, $4.99 US
Jim: The flip side is this book. A Nick Cardy cover and the last story written by Bob Haney. DC has sat on this book for a couple of years and Mike Allerd has championed getting it published. Sound like it is a wacky story that will not be a modern story, but hell just to read a great contributor from yesteryear one more time and a great Nick Cardy cover, I’m ordering this book. I know Lee may get it just for the cover.
Gwen: This looks amusing. I mean, how can you possibly go wrong with Aqualad?
Lee: It’s Bob Haney! He is to DC as Bill Mantlo is to Marvel. But, Jay Stephans is excellent so there’s still a chance this might be good.

GREEN ARROW/BLACK CANARY #4 Written by Judd WinickArt and cover by Cliff Chiang
The second story arc of this hit new series begins with a tragedy for Oliver Queen!On sale January 9 o 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US
Jim: Judd Winick has been writing his a** off n Green Arrow and now Green Arrow / Black Canary since the one year later jump of over a year ago. I hated bringing Ollie back from the dead, but now with Winick at the helm this book is one of DC’s best paced series.
Gwen: Sometimes I have fun with Winick's GA, and it has potential. I'll reserve my opinion on this for now.

ROBIN #170 Written by Chuck DixonArt by Chris BatistaCover by Freddie E. Williams IIWith the return of new series writer Chuck Dixon (Robin, Nightwing, Batman) and art by fan-favorite Chris Batista (52, Legion of Superheroes), Robin #170 is the start of a new era no one will want to miss!After a life-changing battle with Ra's al Ghul in Nanda Parbat, Robin comes home to Gotham to find there's a new girl in town, wearing a color he can't ignore. The new vigilante calls herself Violet, and she steals from the rich to keep for herself…and Robin's going to find out that's not all she's playing for. Plus, the return of an old friend with something to hide!On sale January 16 o 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US
Jim: Chuck Dixon is one of my favorite writers of all time and I bet he has written for more comic book publishers then any other comic writer. He knows how to tell a story and keep it moving. Robin has remained a good series for a while and I’m happy to welcome Chuck Dixon back to the book he started.
Gwen:Yay!
Lee: Dixon always knew how to write a good story and this is good news for Robin.

NIGHTWING #140 Written by Peter TomasiArt by Rags Morales & Michael BairCover by Michael BairGuest-starring Batman & Robin! A new era of Nightwing begins from writer Peter Tomasi (Black Adam: THE DARK AGE, Light Brigade) and the incredible art team of Rags Morales and Michael Bair (Identity Crisis)!When the bodies of nefarious villains and fallen heroes begin to disappear from their final resting places, Dick Grayson is drawn into a mysterious, life-altering adventure!On sale January 2 o 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US
Jim: Now I’m really happy with this creative team I think Nightwing is in the best hands that this book has been in for year. Peter Tomasi certainly knows the character after being the Bat editor for years and his writing is very strong (see the Black Adam series for evidence). Rags is one of the stellar talents in comics and really should be a super star, but I believe personal issues have side tracked him from taking a regular gig that would get him noticed.
Gwen: I'm really looking forward to the team on this book. Wolfman helped to bring Nightwing back from the black pit Devon Grayson threw him into (not to mention the 1YL fiasco) and now I'd like to see Nightwing become one of the better books around. Hopefully Tomasi can make that happen. Also, I'd still really like to see Nightwing and Babs get back together. Really.
Lee: OOOHHHHH Rags on a monthly book. This will be beautiful to look at.

BLUE BEETLE #23 Written by John RogersArt and cover by Rafael AlbuquerqueThe Blue Beetle's family and friends are targeted by an all-out supervillain assault - so why is he abandoning them in their darkest hour and leaving Earth?On sale January 23 o 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US
Jim: Okay this series in a class with Invincible, yes it is that good. A truly well done book about a young boy becoming a man and a hero. Excellent series and continues to improve. (Yes Lee I said as good as Invincible). Gwen will back me up – right?
Gwen: Actually I think I like this book better than Invincible - they are about on par story-wise, but Blue Beetle is more of an all ages book and makes me enjoy it even more. I get a bit turned off by all the blood and gore in Invincible at times. Blue Beetle is a fantastic series - definitely in my top 10 this year!
Lee: Sigh. If Jim calls it that good I might have to try it.

GREEN LANTERN #27 Written by Geoff JohnsArt by Mike McKone and variousCover by Ivan Reis & Oclair AlbertThe build-up to FINAL CRISIS continues in Part 2 of "The Alpha Lanterns"! In the aftermath of the Sinestro Corps War, a select few have been chosen to undergo a transformation that will leave them forever altered and forever committed to the Green Lantern Corps. But what other laws are the Guardians unleashing, and why do Hal Jordan and John Stewart want to stop them? Plus, a visit to Oa's Death Row!On sale January 23 o 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US
Jim: I include this book as the “Sinestro War” was great and now this arc looks to be another fascinating story. Johns has rewritten the GL mythos and is making this book one of his best runs ever and will go down as a definite run and defining run on GL. Anything can happen in this book.
Gwen:GL is a lot of fun these days, but I'm still hesitant about the direction things are going. Ah well, I suppose only time will tell whether I end up really enjoying this or not.

THE SPIRIT #14 Written by Sergio Aragones & Mark EvanierArt by Mike PloogCover by Jordi BernetJoin the new SPIRIT creative team of writers Sergio Aragones & Mark Evanier (Groo the Wanderer) and Mike Ploog (Abadazad) for a case of murder! A string of killings is plaguing Central City…and the Spirit - with Commissioner Dolan - is on the case!On sale January 16 o 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US
Jim: Darwyn Cooke left and we get Sergio Aragones & Mark Evanier as writers, that is not too shabby at all and a good choice to replace one of my favorites Darwyn Cooke, but how do you replace him as an artist. WELL YOU GET MIKE (FRIGGING) PLOOG. I hope he is the regular artist and by regular I’ll take four issues a year by Mr. Ploog.
Gwen: You certainly have great love for Mr. Ploog...
Lee: Mike Ploog is a great fit for this series. I can’t wait to see this! And, I can’t wait for the inevitable hc which will also be coming home.

ADAM STRANGE ARCHIVES VOL. 3 HC Written by Gardner FoxArt by Carmine Infantino, Murphy Anderson and othersCover by Infantino & AndersonHead to the far reaches of space in this volume collecting Adam Strange stories from MYSTERY IN SPACE #81-91, HAWKMAN #18 and STRANGE ADVENTURES #157 (1963-1967)!Advance-solicited; on sale March 26 o 232 pg, FC, $49.99 US
Jim: :) - Bliss!
Gwen: hahaha, I don't know about bliss, but I can see how an Adam Strange Archive would be a lot of fun to read through.
Lee: These stories are so much fun and great to look at too.


JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL HC Written by Keith Giffen & J.M. DeMatteisArt by Kevin Maguire, Terry Austin and Al GordonCover by Maguire & AustinA new hardcover collecting the classic JUSTICE LEAGUE #1-6 and JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL #7 from the late 1980s! Can an unlikely new Justice League line-up work as a unit to stop terrorists at the U.N., a brigade of Rocket Reds, the Royal Flush Gang, and other threats - or will they succumb to in-fighting and bad jokes?Advance-solicited; in stores March 12 o FC, 192 pg, $24.99 US
Jim: Impossible to pass this up. I think I have the trade, but really more then happy to upgrade this material into a hard cover. If I have the trade, it will be coming to you Gwen.
Gwen: I may have already stolen it from you at some point *coughs* This was one of my all time favorite runs of the Justice league. Ever.
Lee: Another I CAN’T WAIT! This material was so good and so fresh. I bet it reads as good today as it did then.

DIANA PRINCE: WONDER WOMAN VOL. 1 TP Written by Dennis O'Neil & Mike SekowskyArt and cover by Sekowsky & Dick GiordanoIn this volume, featuring stories that have never been collected before from issues #178-184 and SUPERMAN'S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE #93, Wonder Woman faces Mars, god of war, the murderous Dr. Cyber, and more!Advance-solicited; on sale February 6 o 176 pg, FC, $19.99 US
Jim: I have to get this, I believe this is when Wonder Woman has no powers and is running around in a white mini-dress and getting all kung fu on us. I have not read this material in a million years and I’m sure it is dated, but I want to re-read it.
Gwen: What little I've been able to read of this I've loved. It's so bad it's good. Kind of like watching Wishmaster except with Batman in a racing car!
Lee: This is indeed “Liberated” Wonder Woman with no powers. I’ve never read these issues but I have always wanted too. I hope the original covers are included because Jeff Jones did some great stuff.

WILDSTORM: REVELATIONS #1-2 Written by Scott Beatty with Christos GageArt by Wes CraigCover by Ivan Reis & Richard FriendExploding out of the pages of WildStorm Armageddon comes a biweekly 6-part adventure to save the WildStorm Universe by writers Scott Beatty (BATGIRL: YEAR ONE) & Christos Gage (STORMWATCH: PHD, WILDSTORM ARMAGEDDON) and rising-star artist Wes Craig (TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE)!The rogue Coda warrior Nemesis, following her harrowing post-apocalyptic vision, must find Backlash and Savant to help her unlock the secrets of the coming destruction. But can anything stem the tide of darkness? Step one to fitting together the pieces of the intricate puzzle: infiltrate the world's most powerful and influential super-humans' headquarters and raid their database!Issue #1 on sale January 2; issue #2 on sale January 16 o 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US
Jim: I feel sorry for the Wildstorm heroes as their re-launch was pretty much a dismal failure due to the lack of being able to actually produce their two big titles (Authority and Wildcats). Not sure if this is there re-re-launch or what, but Christos Gage is attached to it, so that is a big plus.
Gwen: Having recently read Alan Moore's run on WILDCATS I have to say that the Wildstorm Universe continues to confuse me. Although I enjoy Welcome to Tranquility and Gen 13. As for 'Revelations' I'll probably have no clue what I'm reading about if I get the books.
Lee: It is too bad that Wildstorm crashed and burned. My question, why not focus on the books you have and insure quality v. doing a big crossover/reboot which will likely drive more people away? It makes no sense to me.

HELLBLAZER #240 Written by Andy DiggleArt by Leonardo Manco Cover by Glenn FabryVertigo's flagship title reaches its 20th anniversary issue with "The Laughing Magician," Part 1 of 3! The streetwise, chain-smoking con-magician John Constantine finds himself in receipt of a most perplexing birthday gift: a memory wrapped up in a warning. As Constantine tries to figure out what it means, the brutal African war-mage known as Mako hits London - and he's taking no prisoners...On sale January 23 o 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US o MATURE READERS
Jim: Right now this is a top flight series under Andy Diggle, but I’m mentioning this book because it is now 20 years old. One hell of a run.
Gwen: I don't get Hellblazer, I think that's one of the books Jim sends to Jeff instead. Still, it's hard to go wrong with a good John Constantine story.
Lee: 20 yrs…. Yeesh. I remember buying the first issue off the stands. I have been collecting for far to long.

SHOWCASE PRESENTS SERIES 1 ACTION FIGURES Based on the classic stories in the SHOWCASE PRESENTS Library!
Four DC characters are presented here as they were portrayed by some of their top artists! This inaugural series includes Superman by Curt Swan, Batgirl by Carmine Infantino, Hawkman by Joe Kubert, and Jonah Hex by Tony DeZuniga. Each figure features multiple points of articulation and a base.Advance-solicited; On sale June 18, 2008 o Action Figures o PI
JONAH HEX 6.75"HAWKMAN 6.75"SUPERMAN 6.75"BATGIRL 6.625"
Jim: Okay DC has a great month in my mind, powerless Wonder Woman reprint, Adam Strange Volume 3, Mike Ploog artwork and a Jonah Hex action figure!!!
Gwen: whee, more action figures that aren't the Legion of Superheroes ones that I want ><>Lee: I think they need an Infectious Girl action figure before Shadow Lass!

Jim: I’ve already said it, great month of material. Also glad to have a chance to focus on ongoing books and not just new number ones.
Gwen: Like I said, looks like there's some fun stuff to look forward too, much better than the last solicitations for DC. I'm looking forward to another year of comics from the DCU. Also, if you can't tell, I never know what to say in these overview comments. Maybe I'll start leaving reflective comic quotes instead: "Dogs don't make judgments like that." ~Top 10
Lee: Yep… the intro and outro’s are real killers! *groan*. Eh, a good month on the reprint front but I am not really looking forward to a year of “Build up to Final Crisis.” Maybe I’m wrong but it seems like it will be a long year for DC.

No comments:

Post a Comment