Monday, December 07, 2009

What I’m Getting Wednesday December 9


This is one of my smallest weeks in a very long time. Add into that I have not even finished reading last week’s books and the fact that I’m so pressed for time lately (work, holidays and an upcoming vacation) and this column may be a little sparse. Also there is not a single major launch this week.


DC has plenty of Blackest Night cross over books with Adventure Comics #5, Booster Gold #27, Doom Patrol #5 and Rebels #11 to lead the way. I have been enjoying most of these cross over books, but I think DC went a little too far with Blackest Night. The counter argument could be that many of DC’s second tier books could use a boost with a little bit of attention and BN may give it to them. Of these books I’m looking forward to Rebels the most as I want to see how DC handles the yellow ring he gained last issue.


The Bat family only gives us two books this week with Batgirl #5 and Red Robin #7. So I guess that makes it teen week for the Bat family of books. Hard to believe we are already at issue #5 for Batgirl. I’m enjoying Stephanie being Batgirl and I hope her turn as the character last a long time.


The rest of DC for me this week is Action Comics #884, Secret Six #16 and Shield #4. I love Secret Six and Black Alice is looking to be a member of the group, which is fine by me. Gail I believe created Black Alice and I like her a lot. She is not really 100% a villain, but she would be a great addition to this group.


From Vertigo we have the one launch of a brand new title this week on my list Daytripper #1 (of 10). This time I’ll use DC’s official solicitation text (is nostalgic for me to do this yet?) and it says “Brazilian wonder twins Fábio Moon and Gabriel Bá are back writing and drawing in a hauntingly lyrical series set in their native Brazil. With DAYTRIPPER, they follow in the tradition of Craig Thompson, Paul Pope and David Mazzucchelli – cartoonists at the top of their game making comics about the quiet moments that ask big questions.Brás de Oliva Domingos is an obituary writer with a famous father, a career he hates, and tons of questions. How does a person become a successful writer? How does a man get out of his father's shadow? But those concerns will dwarf the surprise he'll find in the first issue – a twist both he and readers will never see coming, which will grow into a mystery about the meaning of life itself.” Not too ambitious to tackle the meaning of life, right?


The other category is very small this week with only Astounding Wolf Man #20, BPRD War on Frogs #4 (of 4), Farscape Dargo’s Quest #1 and Walking Dead #68. Even on a short week Robert Kirkman has two books he is writing on my list. Robert has to be one of the busiest guys around with Geoff Johns and Brian Bendis fighting him for who is writing the most books. Astounding Wolf Man is wrapping up with issue #25 and I will miss the book, but it was on the quirky side and I assume sales were not as strong as they would have like and Kirkman says a good end point was coming up anyway.


Next we turn to Marvel and again not a big list. We have Invincible Iron Man #21, New Avengers Annual #3, Ghost Riders Heavens of Fire #5 (of 6) and Realm of Kings Imperial Guard #2 (of 5) out of the regular Marvel Universe. Of those I have to say I’m looking forward to the ROK title the most. DnA have been doing a great job making the cosmic side of the MU exciting and right now the more from that side the merrier.


The last book for me this wee is from Marvel’s Max line and it is PunisherMax #2. First off I’m not sure what else Marvel even has in the max line, but this was a great start to the re-launched series as Aaron and Dillon should have a lot of fun with Frank Castle. I’m curious to see how the max line Kingpin plays out and if he can survive an encounter with Frank.

That’s it for what I’m getting this Wednesday, come back next Monday and we will do this again next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment