Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Mothers and Sons

As you all know this past weekend was Mother's Day. In honor of this special day, I bring you a story about how my Wife spent her Mother's Day.

For my part, I planned the day to perfection! In the morning, we were going for a hike in the mountains followed by a picnic at the lake.

And, it should be noted, the hike was nice except for the intermittent (pouring) rain. The same rain that unfortunately moved the picnic to our dining room. Luckily, my Wife is a good sport!

Even though the morning wasn't perfect, the afternoon was to consist of a long nap while I entertained the kids. Nothing could ruin that because it was indoors.

Which would have been true if things hadn't spun wildly out of control on Saturday. But, Saturday is a story for another time. Suffice to say, in the hustle and bustle of Saturday, we weren't able to go food shopping. I volunteered to go on Sunday so Wife could still take a nap.

I attempted to take Boy, Girl, and Tiny with me but Boy and Girl balked. Tiny still loves going to the grocery store so I got one out of three. Not too bad! AND, just to make sure Wife would still get her nap I turned the TV and put a nice long DVD in to keep the older two enthralled.

So, Wife went upstairs to take and nap, and I went to the store with Tiny. I heard what happened when I returned...

Wife was upstairs just about to fall asleep, because all she wanted was a nap, when Boy shows up.
Boy: Mom? Are you sleeping? Wife: I'm trying to.
Boy: Can I stay with you? I'm lonely.

I can tell all single people reading this think his offer is soooooo cute and soooooo sweet. But, all parents know this is a trap. No child can ever stay quiet... or sit still... or not bother you when they are "quietly laying next to you." But, even though all parents know this we always let the small children stay!
Wife: You can stay as long as you're quiet.

Everyone all together, count the seconds until the Boy speaks...One one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand, fo...
Boy: Are we gonna go outside?
Wife: You should have gone to the food store with your Dad if you wanted to go outside.
Boy: I'm bored. I'm going downstairs.
Wife: That's fine. Please keep the noise down. I'm trying to rest.
Boy: Ok, Mom.

Thump thump thump down the stairs he went. THUMPITY THUMPITY THUMPITY went the basketball as he bounced it at the bottom of the stairs.

This lasted all of two minutes until... Thump thump thump back up the stairs he went. Then there was a swish of air, the sound of little feet running, and a Superman leap onto the bed. WHAMMO bounce bounce bounce he landed.
Boy: Mom? Are you sleeping?
Wife: No Boy, still just resting.
Boy: How long ya gonna rest for?
Wife: Until Daddy gets home.

When I finally got home, I made the mistake of asking how her nap went.

No comments:

Post a Comment