Sunday, April 07, 2013

The Week of April 3 Preview Review


I went simple this week, yes this is an easy line for one of my co-bloggers to insult me with. Three parts by the main groupings I use for my list of what I get every week. 

A clip from each post:

Marvel Comics I Read – Part 1 of 3 of the Week of April 3 in Review

Indestructible Hulk #6 by Mark Waid and Walter Simonson.  I was not sure going in what I would think as sometime Simonson’s work is very, very loose, but this book was a blast. It felt exactly like what they were going for a Hulk story that invoked the memory of Walter’s great run on Thor. I would add Walter to my artist list but he never sells his work. This is not a mind bending or thought invoking saga this is a pure out and out character bits and fight scenes. The best Marvel book I got this week.

Buy it.

DC Books I Read Part 2 of 3 of The Week of April 3 in Review


Green Lantern #19 by Geoff Johns, Adrian Syaf and Szymon Kudranski. I can’t wait for issue #20 to drop this book. I don’t care that a new writer I like is taking over. DC interferes way too much in these books for me to want to buy into a new creative team. Plus if it is really great I can buy the inevitable trade. The Wrath of the First Lantern has been atrocious. The First Lantern powering up from all the emotions is just insipid comic book stuff.  The First Lantern destroys Sinestro’s world and absorbs the emotional energy or something inane to that effect. I will say the planet destruction ratio in GL books beats any other comic series. Add to that Hal is being drawn to look like Geoff Johns is just stupid; at least Hal killed himself in this issue if we are lucky he stays dead.

Don’t Buy It. 

Alternative Press Books I Read Part 3of 3 The Week of April 3 in Review

Godzilla Half Century War #5 (of 5) by James Stokoe. What a great mini-series. Stokoe puts so much into every page it is amazing. I’m guessing that he included a ton of the various monsters from the gazillion Godzilla movies made. I don’t know them but I have to assume it was all homage. What made this book is it was about two men who fought Godzilla over the course of fifty years. It had all the monster fighting and madness you could want but was a great story as well. John Layman did an excellent Godizilla mini and Stokoe’s was also excellent. I hope IDW can line us some other strong creative crews to do some mini-series. For my money it is the only way to go with Godzilla as the ongoing series is not a true viable option in my view.

Buy the trade.
Come back Monday and Tuesday for all three full length posts.


No comments:

Post a Comment