Monday, June 24, 2013

Goodbye and Hello – Part 1 of 1 – The Blog in Review

The Legend 
So I’m bailing, retiring, calling it quits, cashing in my chips, taking my ball and going home. Well only in one respect. I’m saying goodbye to any posting schedule. After almost seven years I feel it is time to move away from deadlines.

My reasons are varied. First off the amount of time I put into my weekly post at times is enormous. I get my books on Thursday and try to have at least two posts done and loaded by Sunday. Almost every post I do is around 1200 words on the short side and often 2000 on the long side. I have had some weeks where I have produced over 4000 words. Of course with self editing it leads to many run on sentences and some unintentional grammatical errors. I say unintentional because I try to keep my post more conversational, which often means the nuances of perfect grammar and sentence structure go out the window. I’m not an English major by any stretch but I also don’t worry about being a grammarian when spewing out my opinions on a blog. So with doing all of that, finding pictures to punctuate the post it can takes me many hours to pull the post together. That takes away from time with my wife, prose reading, catching up with my real job and or just drinking a beer and lounging in the sun.

Second I have certain themes and have hammered them 14 quadrillion times. At times any consistent reader (both of you) knows what I think of a book before I even hit my fingers to the keyboard.  The ideas that true growth and change will happen with any character is something that I’m rational enough to know it is never going to happen. Marvel and DC are run by corporations who only see the value in marketing the same character forever to each new generation. The type of change I’m looking for would only happen if the bottom drops out and they get desperate. We got very close when Grant put Dick Grayson in the Batman costume. It revived the entire Batman line and then it was all flipped with the new DCU. Plus Grant was only allowed to kill Bruce Wayne because he was brining him back. Today I find more enjoyment in reading the Wild Blue Yonder #1 this week then yet another Animal Man story. Even with Jeff Lemire doing a good job on the book I know it can all be flipped in a heartbeat with a new writer. In series like Sex, Bounce, The Answer, Mara, Ten Grand, Red Team and other books we get stories with beginnings, middles and ends. It is never going to happen with the big two. I got locked into wanting this because I got hooked on comics in the early sixties when the Marvel characters were constantly changing and growing. Having nothing to lose made them bold and the characters had no intrinsic value at that time. Success ended all of that.

Third is that since I do the regular posts I feel I have less time for spontaneous posts. Last Tuesday I got ticked off at DC and ran off a rant. I want to write when the muse strikes me or at least inspires me, I don’t need anyone striking me. The week in review is also all about reacting to something and not actually talking about ideas that are being presented in some books. Doing post more when I feel like will hopefully make the posts have a little more pizzazz. Also I think I will feel more comfortable in shooting off a short 200 word missive and not worry about making each post feel substantial.

Now this does not mean I’m gone, regardless of whether the rest of the crew follow suit the blog is not being deleted. I plan to post from time to time as something inspires me to write or I have some time. I think following is the best bet or check in from time to time, but daily maybe a thing of the past for us.

Before I sign off on this post I want to thank Matthew, Thomm, Gwen, Greg, Shawn and a few others for all of their efforts and work to keep this blog have at least a new post everyday for the better part of seven years. I have had the chance to interview people, make some new internet friends, build some relationships and in general have a blast.

Of course the biggest thanks goes out to Lee. When I started the blog I could have never maintained the daily pace I set for myself for very long. Lee joined me shortly after the blog started and has been there almost from the jump. Eventually I turned management of the blog over to him and he has been running it ever since. Lee has cost me way too much money with original art, but it has been a blast working with Lee all these years and I’m happy to call the Patriot, Boston Red Sox loving bastard my friend.

Of course thanks to all of the people who we interviewed and to all the readers.


I’ll be back, just not on a schedule.

14 comments:

  1. The Legend is the ever growing stack of books on the shelves, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. I should have added photo by E Snowden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're quite welcome you Ravens (cheaters), O's (losers) loving slack ass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ravens won the Super Bowl - Patriots did not.

      And we are still breathing down your neck in the AL East where everybody is over 500.

      Delete
  4. Except for the beer and the sunbathing (had too many moles biopsied already [all negative]), I'm with you! Only I'll be spending time with my wife, not yours. I wasn't an English major (only took one semester my last year of college), but boy do I like to write "good" y'know. (I don't know if I'd call myself a grammarian -- I'd be lost without Word's checking function.) It's a compulsion of mine and it takes time, but honestly, I don't think I can ever write any differently (my rough drafts were always final editions). How else can I sound better than I do in person? You suffered through enough of my lame Conversation appearances, Jim! The funnest part was just being part of the "gang" and hearing all the edited-out talk. So, I'm all for no fixed schedules! Life's too short to have pressure (mostly self-imposed on my part) while having fun. I think we'll still have plenty of life left in the blog as we all follow our muses. Just think of all the money we'll save not hearing your praise on a particular book we would never have picked up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know you are not spending time with my wife, could be an issue :)

      For a bunch of comic nerds we all managed to get married, raised (raising) children and have actual lives, so I'm thinking the stereotypical comic book fan maybe a miss.

      Delete
  5. I don't know...

    Thomm's a pretty big nerd.
    Matthew is definitely a nerd.
    And you may be the biggest nerd of them all.

    If it weren't for me, y'all would be a bunch of stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You the only one who wore a Superman cape to see the movie.

      Delete
    2. While that may be true, at least MY underroos were inside my pants unlike others who shall remain nameless. (but, as a hint: YOU!)

      Delete
    3. ..and I don't care how "collectible" underroos are... they go INSIDE the pants. Got it? INSIDE!

      Delete
    4. Not on the old style costumes.

      And at least I did not cry when Pa Kent was killed

      Delete
  6. That's because you're heartless. I've been reading your reviews for years... Heart-less.

    Althought I did think it was tacky when Thomm cheered because pa died.

    Thomm has a lump of coal for a heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eye certainly teared up at that scene, but not the outright weeping when Spock died in Wrath of Khan or laughter when Kirk "died" in Into Darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course I cheered when Pa died. It was Kevin Costner.

    Irradiated nerd forgot his lead Underoos, obviously. The radiation is making him think he's cooler than he is.

    ReplyDelete