Friday, March 13, 2009

Image Preview Review for May


Jim: Wow Image seems to have fallen apart as far as new selections. I wonder if the New Depression is making creator owned material too big a risk and everyone has to seek paying jobs. Lately Image’s offering have been very weak.
Lee: It’s only a flesh wound for Image. They’re getting better. Better than last month if that counts for anything.

OLYMPUS #1 script NATHAN EDMONDSONart & cover CHRISTIAN WARD variant cover TOMMY LEE EDWARDS
MAY 20, 24 PAGES / FC, $2.99
In ancient Greece, Zeus granted eternal life to two brothers, and bound them to his service. 3,000 years later, they are hunting an exiled god, only in their hunt they release onto earth one of Hades' most dangerous prisoners. With a fresh, compelling visual style and original storytelling,OLYMPUS #1is a rebirth of classical mythology into action and intrigue. Visit Christian Ward here

Jim: This is the only new floopy being offered this month and it is a pass for me.
Lee: I’ll pass on the floppie but the art looks better than the story sounds. It will be worth looking at one on racks to see if I want to get the trade later.

G-MAN, VOL.1: LEARNING TO FLY TP story CHRIS GIARRUSSOart & cover CHRIS GIARRUSSO
MAY 20, 96 PAGES, FC, $9.99
From the creator of the sold-out MINI-MARVELS digests comes the first G-MAN digest! Writer/artist CHRIS GIARRUSSO continues his signature Mini Marvels brand of comics with G-Man and his pals, the next wave of all-new kid super-heroes!
Collects the sold-out G-Man one-shot, the G-Man Christmas story, an extensive collection of COMIC BITS comic strips and more!

Jim: This looks like fun and it is only $10.
Lee: This from the man who won’t read the Franklin Richards books? I don’t get it. But, if you liked mini-marvel’s I’m sure you’ll like this.
Jim: This appears to be less derivative then Franklin Richards.

SPECIAL FORCES, VOL. 1 TP story KYLE BAKERart & cover KYLE BAKER
MAY 13, 200 PAGES / FC, $16.99
The Comic Book That Ended The Iraq War! Zone, the unwitting pawn of a corrupt recruiter, is a mentally disabled soldier. Felony is a three-time loser who enlisted to avoid life in prison. When the rest of their unit is massacred in Baghdad, these brave American teenagers are democracy's last hope against the villainy of the notorious terrorist known as The Desert Wolf!
Collects issues SPECIAL FORCES #1-4

Lee: Did Image publish this? I thought this was done by someone else? I remember reading fairly good reviews and I love Baker’s material so I’m in.
Jim: Yes this was an Image mini-series and I believe when the mini-series was coming out you said you would wait for the trade and here it is.

THE WALKING DEAD COMPENDIUM, VOL. 1 TP story ROBERT KIRKMANart CHARLIE ADLARD & TONY MOOREcover CHARLIE ADLARD & CLIFF RATHBURN
MAY 6, 1088 PAGES / BW, $59.99
AVAILABLE FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLYThe first eight volumes of this fan-favorite series collected into one massive paperback collection. Get it while supplies last.
Collects THE WALKING DEAD #1-48.

Lee: I really like the 1000+ pages for $60. I think that’s a great idea. But, my inner NM 9.2+ nerd, is going nuts because it will be impossible to keep this book in any kind of good condition. Let me clarify, I meant, keep the book so that the spine does not facture and disintegrate.
Jim: The essential type formats are not made to last and that is ultimately my problem with this offering. At $60 a book that will fall apart in five / ten years is too pricey. At $17 bucks for 500 pages of Essential and Showcase material I can live with the book falling apart eventually.

DAWN, VOL. 3: THREE TIERS TP story JOSEPH MICHAEL LINSNERart & cover JOSEPH MICHAEL LINSNER
MAY 13, 144 PAGES / FC, $14.99
JOSEPH LINSNER put three years into creating this third chapter of the Dawn saga, his modern reworking of classic earth goddess mythology. In THREE TIERS, Dawn leads her earthly lover Darrian through a post-apocalyptic Europa. She taunts him in visions and dreams, but she is always just one maddening step away. On his quest for Dawn, Darrian fights duels, slays dragons, and makes love to three women a virgin, a queen and a whore. Is Dawn one of them or all three? In chasing Dawn, Darrian stumbles upon the key to his destiny and discovers the true face of the goddess.
Collects DAWN: THREE TIERS #1-6

Lee: Has anyone ever read this? Is it any good? It’s been around forever but I don’t know anyone who has publicly admitted to reading it. Then again, there could be a reason for that.
Jim: That’s a good question. It has been around forever, but I have never heard anyone talking about the work.

PROOF #20 story ALEX GRECIANart & cover RILEY ROSSMO
MAY 28, 32 PAGES / FC, $3.50
"JULIA," Part ThreeAs Scotland Yard closes in,London's circus freaks join forces to track down Springheel Jack and end his reign of terror.

Lee: Have I mentioned how much I love this series! It’s great. Wahoooo I love it. And, I love the fact I can mention Duck stories in the Indies again because of this.
Jim: Hey that is cheating I was not mentioning Proof this month specifically to protect myself against DUCKS!

EVIL & MALICE: SAVE THE WORLD TPB story and art by JIMMIE ROBINSON
128 pg, FC, May 20, $14.99
SAVE THE WORLD!Evelyn and Malinda are the 13-year old twin daughters of the infamous (but soft-hearted) villain, The Black Eye. But when a group of super villains makes life miserable for their father the girls take action themselves -- as superheroes! Now the madcap action is a race against time before their father discovers their identities and grounds them for life!
Fan favorite Jimmie Robinson delivers all-ages fun! Finally collected with extras and additional lost pages!

Lee: So let me get this right… Jimmie Robinson, creator-writer-artist of the “family friendly” Bomb Queen series is writing stories about twin 13 yr old girls. What part of this is completely wrong? Oh wait! All of it is wrong. I’m having trouble transitioning Bomb Queen stories to family friendly material. Pass pass pass.
Jim: I will also pass, but just because a writer is known for one type of material does not mean all of his work will be the same thing.


I KILL GIANTS TP story JOE KELLYart & cover J.M. KEN NIIMURA
MAY 13184 PAGES, BW$15.99
Barbara Thorson, a girl battling monsters both real and imagined, kicks butt, takes names, and faces her greatest fear in the bittersweet coming-of-age story called "Best Indy Book of 2008" by IGN. AICN says "Oea great mini full of eccentricity, humor and humanity that I not only highly recommend, but hope to see get some well deserved attention come Eisner time."
Collects I KILL GIANTS #1-7

Jim: Quite simply one of the best mini-series I ever read. A touching story of a young girl learning to deal with the impending death of her mother. Filled with humor, pathos and flights of fancy.
Lee: I can’t top that so YEAH WHAT JIM SAID!


Jim: As I send this to Lee, I only found three books to even mention. Now I’m skipping the normal good books by Image that includes Invincible, Walking Dead, Jersey Gods (which hopefully will make it) and Proof, but Image feels very weak.
Lee: No fear! I added Proof for you. If you ask me, it’s a typical Image month. Some good… some worth laughing at.

No comments:

Post a Comment