Saturday, February 17, 2007

Image Comics for May - A Previews Review

Jim: Image is really pulling out all the stops and bringing in a very independent feeling into there books. A far cry from what they were when they started.
Lee: Well, another strange group of books. A very odd month.

GUTSVILLE #1 Written by Simon Spurrier, art and cover Frazer Irving. Gutsville is a town living in the belly of the beast, literally. 150 years after the ocean liner HMS Daphne was swallowed at sea, its passengers' descendants cling to life in Gutsville. All is not well among the slippery streets... As revolutionaries, sadistic priests and frothing psychos clash in the psychedelic innards of an impossible creature, it's left to one scared RatCatcher to consider escape...
Jim : Have to give kudos to Image, their line has gotten very diverse and they are trying out lots of different material. Taking the Jonah the whale story to it’s ultimate extreme and adding in Frazer Irvings art and I will be looking into this beast for at least a couple of issues. I thought Spurrier was back to coaching college football, but a comics writer too – who knew (oh that’s Steve Spurrier, never mind).
Lee: I agree, this looks very, very nice. The problem is… if Image starts putting out more interesting things like this then something has to give. Shall I stop X-men from and risk not having every single issue since the dawn of time??? Kidding aside, Image producing good books is a problem because I am semi maxed in the budget now. Having to do a pull-list cleaning isn’t a pleasant idea.

STRANGE EMBRACE #1 Written by David Hine, art and cover by Hine and Rob Steen. Hine brings his magnum opus to Image Comics! Digitally re-mastered, Strange Embrace will be available as eight monthly issues colored by Flanimals co-creator Rob Steen and lettered by those awfully nice chaps at Comicraft! Strange Embrace is a modern gothic sexual tortured romance and is not for the nervous!
Jim: Okay, different is good, psycho-sexual tortured, hmmm, sounds a little too far out there.
Lee: Honestly, I’m not really sure what to make of this. It was originally a GN and now they are chopping it up into single issues. Why? It is cheaper to get the GN. Anyway, this would be more interesting if Hine had become more. I think there was a time that David Hine was “the next thing” but none of his ideas seemed to really stick. Having already read this, it’s ok, it certainly isn’t a psycho-sexual tortured romance. There’s a bit of exaggeration here.

WARD OF THE STATE #1 Written by Christopher E. Long, art and cover by Chee. Norma Balitzer is just your typical average foster mother...who happens to train her young wards to be hired killers! Dravis Trucker, her latest ward, has always yearned for a normal life. Now he's hoping to survive long enough to get his driver's license!
Jim: So out all the publishers so far Image has more new projects in May then Marvel and DC combined at this point. This one sounds like a pass, but boy is horror making a strong comeback in comics. Between the crime and horror books it sounds like the second coming of EC comics. Now if we can just get some more science fiction anthology books going.
Lee: I really like the cover image. Not sure about the stories. I do wonder where Image is going these days because this month seems to be heavy on the horror offerings. Maybe they’ve seen the success of IDW and are imitating them to some point.

INTERSECTIONS Art and cover by Duncan Fegredo and Sean Phillips. Conceived during a repast of fine wine and nouvelle cuisine, Intersections is the meeting of two artistic minds. Sean Phillips and Duncan Fegredo play artistic ping pong with a sketchbook -- a drawn and painted conversation where punctuation is provided by the postal service. Can you read between the paintings?
Intersections: A visual dialogue between Sean Phillips and Duncan Fegredo.Intersections: The sequential conclusion to an excess of curry and beer. 96 pages, $14.99, in stores on May 9 (limited edition hardcover, $34.99).
Jim: Very cool concept. I may drop $15 to check it out.
Lee: Ummm, as you always tell me, you’re on your own with this one. If I read this correctly, two guys get drunk and doodle in a notebook???? And they want $14 of money I earned while I was sober… money I earn when “less than sober” supports my comic book habits, but enough of that…. I don’t see the appeal.
Jim: When Lee puts it that way I'll have to rethink this and just look at at the comic store (if they even order it).

INVINCIBLE #43
Jim: This book is so good that it should be the number one selling continuing monthly series. It is reminiscent of the Lee/Ditko run on Spider-Man and has elements of the great writers of today who plant seeds in the series and slowly bring them to fruition.
Lee: Aaahhhh. What is a month without the “Jim LOVE Invincible” speech. I got it already it’s a good book. And, for the reader at home (he’s right).

TELLOS COLOSSAL HCstory TODD DEZAGO, art & cover MIKE WIERINGO288 PAGES $39.99TELLOS is an all-ages roller coaster of action and adventure, mystery and magic, and good versus evil! The perfect format for the perfect bedtime story—for children of ALL ages!RETAILER WARNING: MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR ALL AGES
Lee: This is really an odd offering. The original series did “ok” if I remember correctly. And the story was “ok”. But, seriously, was anyone asking for this? But, that said, 288 pages for $40 is a good deal and the art is really pretty which somewhat makes up for a weak script. I still won’t be getting it though. I do like the ad, specifically the little text for children of ALL ages! and the bottom retailer warning text NOT BE SUITABLE FOR ALL AGES. Not that’s a marketing plan!

Jim: So I wonder exactly what ages it is not suitable for? Have to love the back and forth on that marketing plan.

ALIEN PIG FARM #2 (of 4)cover MARK SCHULTZ
Lee: FALSE ADVERTISING ALERT!!! This is a really great looking cover by Mark Schultz… but no interior art. I was jipped! Wish Schultz would do some interior stuff.
Jim: Been a long time since I remember any project with Mark Schultz doing all the art. A shame this is not more then a cover.

BLACK MIST #4 of 4art MIKE PERKINS & ROBERT GRABE
Lee: Nothing special about this other than Mike Perkins is the current artist on Cap’n America. If you like his stuff you might want to read this. I won’t but you might want to.
Jim: This is a easy pass for me.

THE TRIPPER (ONE-SHOT) Written by David Arquette and Joe Harris, adapted by Steve Niles, art and cover by Nat Jones.
The official comic of the movie. A group of free-loving hippies head to Frank Baker's American Free Love Festival for all the sex, drugs and rock n' roll they can get their grubby hands on. But they're not the only ones coming... out of the woods comes a maniac of presidential proportions! He's big. He's mean. And he's come back to save a country that's lost its way, and slaughter every last filthy hippie who dares to enter his domain. It's morning in America all over again! Go out there and... kill one for The Tripper!
Jim: This type of project always leaves me cold and I have seldom, if every purchased one. An easy pass for me.
Lee: Love the cover. It is very effective for selling the plot. It should be noted that Nat Jones is a good horror artist, but, I’m with you. Don’t care.

THE PIRATES OF CONEY ISLAND #8 (of 8)story RICK SPEARSart & cover by VASILIS LOLOS & NICK FILARDIThe Pirates and the Cherries go toe-to-toe with the Hitman and Cadillacula and only one will rule Coney Island.
Lee: I love the covers to this series and the previews for issue #1 that newsarama did looked great. I am glad the series is over so I can get the trade.
Jim: I have to borrow the trade from you Lee. This holds no real interest for me.

MADAME MIRAGE #1 Written by Paul Dini, art by Kenneth Rocafort, covers by Greg Horn and Rocafort.
Jim: No sir, the comic fan is not just an over-sexed man-child living in Mom and Dad’s basement lusting after 4-color women on a comic page. The concept and the writer make me want to buy the book, the cover makes me want to hide from any non-comic friends who stop in the house.
Lee: This comic makes me relive those happy days when I was single… in the basement of my house… all alone… reading –wink wink- -nudge nudge- my comic books. Aaahh those were the days…
Oh sorry. What were we talking about?

UNIQUE #3 Written by Dean Motter, art and colored by Dennis Calero.
Jim: This sounds like such an interesting story, I hope it is good as the write-up. I’m always worried, that like trailers being the best part of the movie, that the concept is the best part of the comic.
Lee: How did we miss this before? I don’t remember seeing it advertised anywhere. Dean Motter is an excellent, excellent writer, from Mr. X to Terminal City, he is fantastic. Since, I already missed all the other issues I guess I’ll be getting the trade.

MADAME MIRAGE GREG HORN LITHO12 by 18” Limited Edition Lithograph
Lee: And in case you missed it, for only $30, you can have that stunning cover to Madame Mirage in super duper, bigger than life size, full color, 12x18 glory. Why hide your creepy, fanboy side when you can post it on the wall… in the basement … where you live… aaaallll by yourself. I wonder if the wife will let me hang my copy in the living room. I’ll frame it and call it art!
Jim: If you start hanging that in your living room, you will be living alone. I guess you have to give kudos to Greg Horn and Greg Land for drawing some incredibly sexy women, but they really solidify the image of the comic fan boy.

1 comment:

  1. That cover makes me think of a B-movie concept: The Cleavage!

    So powerful, it destroys nations!

    ReplyDelete