Monday, February 12, 2007

What I'm Getting Wednesday - Barring a Major Snowstorm

This has become my weekly column and is pretty easy to knock out. Plus it gives me a chance to look at what I’m getting and sometimes allows me to ensure that I’m getting the entertainment value that I want out of my dollar.

DC
52 #41 – Hard to believe we are coming down the home stretch on this book. I know DC has another weekly event planned, but this has been an unique event that has been very enjoyable.

Batman #663 – The return of Grant Morrison’s writing sting on the book with John Van Fleet as guest artist and features the return of the Joker. Hopefully it will be good, but I think the Joker could be off stage fro about two or three years and I would be fine with that proposition.

Gen 13 #5 – Wow this book got to #5 in a hurry. This is a decent series but has dropped to my least favorite Gail Simone series as I have become sold on Welcome to Tranquility. Still my least favorite Gail Simone series is still a good series and well worth reading. She really has been a top notch writer on all of his books.

Green Arrow #71 – Part 3 of the GA/Batman team-up versus Red Hood and Brick. Judd Winick has made this a book to read every month. It’s funny I still never expect this book to be as good as it is.

Green Lantern Corps #9 – Concluded the 3 Part “The Dark Side of Green”. The guest writer Keith Champagne has done a wonderful job on this book. Guy Gardner is working in the black ops section of the GL corps. Very cool story with a Dominator being the main bad guy.

JLA Classified #34 – Continuing Dan Slott and Dan Jurgens arc on this book. This has been a really enjoyable arc, where an everyman has control of Doctor Destiny’s power and has used to explore how to rule the world. Really enjoyable to date.

Justice Society of America #3 – I already love this series and think this book has Geoff Johns best work. Hawkman returns to the JSA (YEAH!) as they are still fighting the legacy killers. I love the respect this book gives to the classic characters, yet has new blood under most of the masks. Great series.

Manhunter #28 – Part 3 of Unleashed as the defense of Wonder Woman continues. I have heard this book was canned again as the second chance still did not sell enough, but she should still be a player in the DCU and hopefully will get another series down the road.

Martian Manhunter #7 (of 8) – J’onn discovers who is behind the Martian abductions is what is promised. I really love this character. I hoped this series would have garnered more attention, but I believe it was a lower selling mini-series.
r
Omac #8 (of 8) – This has been a mediocre series at best. The ending could save it as the concept has potential. I’m curious to see how it ends.
Sandman: Sleep of Reason #3 (of 5) – Interesting series that is trying to give us a new non-powered Sandman and also a parallel adventure of a very old Wes Dodd. So far this book is a toss-up as to whether it is good or bad.

Showcase Presents Aquaman #1 – Over 500 pages of the old Aquaman adventures from 40 years ago.

Stormwatch PHD #4 – Christos Gage has fast become one of my favorite writers and this book in 3 issues has become the best re-launched Wildstorm book. This issue highlights the female members of the team on a mission.

Tales of the Unexpected #4 (of 8) – What is most unexpected is the back up series has outshone the main series. I look forward more to Dr. Thirteen’s story then the Spectre and I love the Spectre character, so the book is a win/win for me.

Trails of Shazam #5 ( of 12) – Really enjoying this book that is exploring how Freddy is earning the powers of Shazam.

Other
EC Archives Tales From the Crypt Volume #1 – The first six issues of the classic series in a beautiful hard cover reprint.


Marvel


Amazing Spider- Girl #5 - A goof series that I'm not sure why I get this book.

Astonishing X-Men #20 - The continuation of the Whedon/Cassady run on the X-Men. This series has not been all that it should be and is saved by Cassady's artwork.

Avengers Earth’s Mightiest Heroes #6 (of 8) - Fun 70's style story of the Avenger's in that era. Good read and an enjoyable book.

Nextwave Agents of Hate #12 – The final issue. NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have loved this book and I’m very sad to see if go. Warren Ellis and Stuart Immonen’s fun look at a bunch of “C” tier Marvel super heroes fighting H.A.T.E.

Thunderbolts #111 – More Warren Ellis work. The last issue was okay, but I still haven;t decided whether this series is a winner or not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment