Monday, March 12, 2007

What I'm Getting Wednesday

Four week months are just killer. I think no week will be less then 30 books. I have recently cancelled a few titles from Marvel and added some additional independents. Independents have a more sporadic publishing schedule then Marvel and DC, so you can collect 20 to 30 independent titles and maybe only get 15 a month. Plus I try to practice what I preach and I'm continuing to search out other independent comics.

52 Week #45 – Last issue was another great issue, this series is really hitting us with surprise after surprise. This issue should be no exception.

Crisis on Multiple Earths the Team Ups Volume 2 – Great silver age stories where the original hero meets up with the silver age version. Silver age fun, that served to further re-introduce the golden age heroes.

Fables #58 – Just a great series and this is part 2 of the Father and Son story, where Bigby and his father the North Wind get together.



Gen13 #6 – This series is okay, my least favorite of Gail Simone, but still a good book. Gail’s worse book is still a solid entertaining series.

Green Arrow #72 – Shocked that they are canceling this with #75 and having him propose to Black Canary. I’m past that relationship and I thought she was also, seems to be too fast. This actual issue is the conclusion of Red Hood story and the Batman / Green Arrow team up.

Green Lantern Corps #10 – Dave Gibbons is back on the writing and Guy Gardner stirs up trouble within the corps (as always).

Grifter/Midnighter #1 (of 6) – Written by the master of great action stories Chuck Dixon. Chuck Dixon makes mini-series that should be bad or at best okay into great stories. Letting him team up two of the Wildstorm bad asses should be fun.

JLA Classified #36 – My JLA book, much better then the JLA book itself (this arc). This is the conclusion of what has been an entertaining arc by Dan Slott and Dan Jurgens.

Martian Manhunter #8 (of 8) – Concluding the mini-series that promises to answer a lot of the questions as to what is going on with the Martians that are on earth and secrets of J’onn J’onzz’s past.

Robin #160 – Robin versus a drug ring that is turning people into brutal killers. Continuing what has been a great run by writer Adam Beechen.

Sandman Mystery Theatre: Sleep of Reason #4 (of 5) – Continuing what appears to be Wes Dodd’s last adventure as Sandman and a new Sandman. Interested more in Wes Dodd’s story then the new Sandman, but so far it has been an okay mini-series.

Stormwatch PHD #5 – A reveal issue where Jackson King reveals how some of the Stormwatch members are still alive. Should be interesting, but it feels like it is a skip issue from the regular story as we have a guest artist. Still Gage is the writer and he has earned my trust on this book.

Superman #660 – A Prankster story with art by Mike Manley, this is another issue trending water and I want the main story to continue. I think Action being late is making them slow down this story also.

Tales of the Unexpected #6 (of 8) – Spectre and Dr. 13, and I’m loving the Dr. 13 insane back up more then the front story. Dr. 13 has found out that the architects are trying to get rid of him and other characters, the architects are the DC editors. Very enjoyable.

Teen Titans #44 – Titans West versus the evil Titans East. Looks to be an old time slam bang fight. Looking forward to it.

Wonder Woman #5 – A prelude to Amazon Attacks and the story that was going on will be printed someday once the writer finishes it. Hope this is the start of making this book part of the DCU again and get on track.

Avengers Earth’s Mightiest Heroes #7 (of 8) – The penultimate chapter of this mini-series. This series started strong and I have lost some interest on this book since issue #5.

Ant-Man #6 – I dropped this book and then after the Cosmic Conversation panel started singing its praises I got it again. It is okay, it’s not great, but it is okay.

Marvel Masterworks Dr. Strange – The third Masterworks featuring Doctor Strange. I believe this issue is the end of the silver age run. This contains some great Gene Colan artwork.

Moon Knight #8 – This book is on my potential cut list. I want to like Moon Knight, but he is a hard character to get right as his history is dragging him down. Maybe it is time for a new Moon Knight.

New Avengers #28 – Okay I’m buying a book that I have hated, but I have to see how they forced having Dr. Strange as part of the Avengers. Also these are supposed to be the renegades and I wonder how they will explain away that Iron Man and the Might Avengers have not captured them yet.

Punisher War Journal #5 – Bushwacker and the Punisher are going to have a showdown. Matt Fraction has done an okay job with this book, but the Punisher used to have his own moral code and last issue’s slaughtering of many minor villains violates Frank’s code.

Spider-Man Reign #4 (of 4) – The last chapter. This issue will decide whether this mini-series was worth it or not. I have had mixed feeling on this dystopian future of Spider-Man and so far I think it maybe a loser.

Thunderbolts #112 – This has read well (as Warren Ellis is the writer), but this is one of those books that presents such a dark image of the Marvel Universe, that it bothers me on some level. Also I think it makes no cohesive logic that it exist inside a Marvel Universe under the new order after Civil War. My fellow fans seem to revel in these types of books.

Thunderbolts Present Zemo Born Better #2 (of 4) – Interesting little series exploring what made Baron Zemo, who he is.

BPRD Garden of Souls #1 (of 5) – I was given the old mini-series of this group so I will continue to follow them. Dark Horse’s series of mini-series works very well for a lot of books.

Damned #5 (of 5) – The conclusion of the demon gangster saga. Let’s see if the last issue can save this book for me as it lost my interest by issue #3.

Furious Fists of Drunken Monkey #3 (of 3) – Okay, I get this for the monkey, but it is a funny book.

Garth Ennis Chronicles of Wormwood #2 (of 6) – The first issue was fun where a benevolent anti-Christ decided not to destroy Earth. Last issue ended with the Devil waiting for him when he got home. So another Father and Son discussion looms.

Lone Ranger #5 – Continuing the origin of the Lone Ranger. This series has done what I think is very hard to do, taken a well known and classic tale and re-done it with slight changes and made it interesting.

Tag Cursed #2 (of 5) – One man’s search for what started the entire “tag curse”.

Thrud the Barbarian #5 – Just an out and out funny book, It makes fun of barbarian type stories, so I can’t see a long life for this book, but it is just pure fun.

Wormwood Gentleman Corpse #6 – Ben Templesmith’s (as artist and writer) continuation of the insane, bizarre and brilliant adventures of the worm that animates corpses. A real masterpiece and just out and out stellar work.

No comments:

Post a Comment