Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Things Overheard

So, it was a quiet week here. No crib to bed moves. No dance recitals. Not a whole lot of anything. It’s during these quiet times that I like to listen to the sounds of the house.

One sound that is always interesting is “Jump! We’ll catch you!” This sound is followed by the THUMP THUMP THUMP of Mommy and Daddy running to see what would make little people say such a thing. Upon arrival, seeing Tiny on the outside edge of the stair railing and climbing like it was Mr. Everest, the words “WHOA! WHOA! WHOA! Get down from there!” quickly follow.

Then again, there's the popular “Watch, I can lift Tiny” as Boy grabs her in a Heimlich maneuver. This is followed by the partial words of *gasp* and *wheeze* and Tiny’s attempt at “Can’t breathe!” To his credit, Boy did get Tiny’s toes an inch or two off the ground.

Sometimes interesting sounds are heard after Daddy cleans Tiny’s face with the rag he just wiped the floor with. Sounds range from “What the heck are you doing?” and “Please tell me you didn’t think that was a good idea”. Interestingly enough, I thought these phrases would always be reserved for the children.

Sometimes, the sounds are just clichés that your parents used. Common ones include, “Because I am the driver and I said no! That’s why!” after Girl asks for the 400th time why we aren’t going to the pool.

Sometimes it's Boy at the pool asking the kind lady next to him, "Have you heard about the Titanic?"

Sometimes it's an endless stream of questions about a Transformers movie he's never seen, sometimes it's Tiny wandering around the house reciting "Daddy stink fart" even though I'm at work.

It's all about the little sounds you hear (or hear about) every day.

1 comment:

  1. You really have to watch out if you hear the kids say something like "I'll catch" or anything else along those lines. I remember when Jamie and I jumped off the back balcony/porch into the snow because we figured the large amount of snow would break our fall. It did... but honestly I'm surprised at the crap we pulled when we were kids.

    ReplyDelete