Wednesday, September 26, 2007

When Did Your Children Grow Up?

Here’s an interesting question, when do kids grow up? Don’t get me wrong, I understand that I am still my Mother’s little boy. As she says, I always have been and always will be. But at some point, I grew up. My wife says several times a week that it is time for me to grow up but that’s different.

I don’t know when my little people grew up but I think they did. Maybe it was last week when they went to school for the very first time. The kindergarten bus pulled up and they leaped right on without even the slightest look back. They were too excited to get on the bus to worry about me.

Maybe it was the other day when I came home and no one rushed to greet me. Sesame Street was more exciting than Dad coming home. In truth, they stopped coming to the door weeks before. I just didn’t want to admit they weren’t coming to see me anymore.

Maybe it was this morning as I was leaving for work, and Tiny screamed “Kiss! Kiss!” because I hadn’t given her a goodbye kiss yet. She rushed over to me and made sure I kissed both her cheeks. The older two didn’t even take their eyes off the television.

I’m very proud of my children, love than more than anything, and it really is a great deal of fun watching them grow up. But somedays, every now and then, I really miss the little people that squealed in delight when I came home.

1 comment:

  1. They grow up every year just in different ways.

    My wife is still wondering when I will grow up and not just older.

    ReplyDelete