Sunday, December 30, 2007

DC Preview Review for March 2008

Jim: Well another month with new series being an almost forgotten idea, especially in the DCU. I wonder if this will last all throughout Final Crisis or will series start to launch again once Final Crisis begins.
Lee: The Marvel and DC previews just pain me every month. It seems to be the same rehash or prelude to the next mega crossover. I don’t want to go back the the silverage but how about a compromise to the mid-80’s.
Gwen: I will be sooooo happy when Final Crisis is over. 'nuff said.

COUNTDOWN TO FINAL CRISIS #8-5 Story by Paul DiniStory consulting by Keith GiffenThe Countdown ticks down as storylines converge and collide — a Great Disaster is clearly proving to be unavoidable!COUNTDOWN 8 on sale March 5COUNTDOWN 7 on sale March 12COUNTDOWN 6 on sale March 19COUNTDOWN 5 on sale March 2632 pg, FC, $2.99 US
Jim: In hindsight I think even Didio may admit that having a year long prelude to a big story was a mistake. Hopefully by this issues it should be a revelation or great moment ever week.
Lee: Let’s hope because this is killing me.
Gwen: Eh, I am disillusioned at this point... here's hoping something will get me interested again.

TANGENT: SUPERMAN’S REIGN #1 Written by Dan JurgensArt by Matt Clark, Fernando Pasarin & Jesse DelperdangCover by Carlos Pacheco & Jesus MerinoThe Tangent Earth and the DC Earth are about to collide! In the years since the Tangent world was last seen, a mind-reading, telekinetic Superman has taken control and brought peace, but at the cost of the world’s freedoms. And as the walls between the Tangent Earth and the DC Earth being to fall, the Tangent Superman’s visions are about to get even grander! Spinning out of the events of JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #16, the 12-part TANGENT: SUPERMAN’S REIGN maxiseries will introduce members of the Tangent world to their DC counterparts, with events and results that will change both worlds forever!On sale March 19 • 1 of 12 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US
Lee: And, here I thought all the Tangent trades for just to reprint good material. Oh no, it was yet another marketing ploy. They might have sold better if people had know why they were being printed. I'm not sure I see the point of this series.
Jim: So those trade I have ordered are research material for this series. I liked a lot of these Tangent heroes and thought that their potential was untapped, so I’m curious to see what this series will bring and how (if it all) it will play out against Final Crisis.
Gwen: Hasn't this story been done before? Like, a lot?

TEEN TITANS: YEAR ONE #3 Written by Amy Wolfram Art by Karl Kerschl & Serge LapointeCover by KerschlThe newly formed Teen Titans must face off against the possessed Justice League of America to the death! And in this battle, there are no winners.On sale March 5 • 3 of 6 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US
Lee: I'm sorry but he still looks Zombie Aqualad to me. Can't the editor do something about this?
Jim: Gotta say, if it is Zombie Aqualad, it maybe more interesting, because this is an easy pass for me.
Gwen: ooo, Zombie Aqualad could be hilarious. Too bad that's not what this is =/

DC SPECIAL: RAVEN #1 Written by Marv Wolfman Art and cover by Damion Scott & Robert CampanellaFrom Marv Wolfman, co-creator of Raven, and maverick penciller Damion Scott (BATGIRL) comes a 5-issue miniseries delving into Raven’s past and giving her a new life — but first she must survive the horrors of high school! Can the Titan’s empath endure the wave of teen angst at school, especially after someone begins killing students? Emotions are driven sky high thanks to the reappearance of the Psycho Pirate’s Medusa mask, and there’s no way anyone can contain it once it has fallen into the wrong hands. Titans fans new and old dare not miss this one!On sale March 5 • 1 of 5 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US
Lee: Ummmmm... is it me or does Raven look like Batgirl. Someone did tell Damion Scott he was working on a new title right? RIGHT?
Jim: I don’t know is Marv Wolfman really in touch with his high school angst enough to write this type of series. The whole de-aged Raven was always confusing to me anyway.
Gwen: I'm fairly attached to the character of Raven - but why would they send an empath to public high school? Personally I think she should have a private tutor or something...

JUSTICE LEAGUE: THE NEW FRONTIER SPECIAL Written by Darwyn CookeArt by Cooke, J. Bone & David BullockCover by CookeCelebrating the DVD release of the New Frontier movie comes this collection of never before seen stories including “New Frontier: The Lost Chapter,” with script and art by Darwyn Cooke! This tale provides a first-hand look at Faraday’s quest to outlaw masked vigilantes, culminating with the day Superman goes to Gotham to bring down Batman. Also included are two back-up stories featuring Wonder Woman, Black Canary, Sgt. Rock and others, as well as behind-the-scenes bonus material from the movie!On sale March 5 • FC, 48 pgs, no ads, $4.99 US
Jim: I got the comics, I own the Absolute Edition, I have the 9 action figures and I was buying the movie and what you needed another $5 from me. No problem as this is one of my all time favorite series you can sucker me for another $5.
Lee: The sad part, I have yet to read this series. I know it’s really good and all but I am holding out for a less-than-$100 hc. Someday… maybe.
Gwen: This looks cool :)

SIMON DARK #6 Written by Steve NilesArt and cover by Scott HamptonRachel and Beth seek a new friend for the city’s guardian while “Simple Simon” recalls how he became a creature of both science and dark magic. Meanwhile, the cult springs into action against an unwitting Gotham City!On sale March 12 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US
Jim: I bring this book up as it looks like a nice jumping on point if you have passed up on this series. It really is a unique DCU title and is one not to be missed.
Lee: There is a lot of mixed press on this. I will wait for the trade and see if I like that.
Gwen: I really like this series so far, it's got an interesting story and decent art work. Also, it stands out as being something different amongst the rest of the Gotham stories.

THE FLASH #238 Written by Tom PeyerArt and cover by Freddie Williams II“Fast Money” begins! Don’t miss the kickoff of this provocative new storyline by Tom Peyer (HOURMAN), as the Flash is pulled into an intense moral dilemma about superpowers — and Keystone’s plagued by a menace who’s using familiar mind-bending tactics!On sale March 19 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US
Jim: Check out the writer is Tom Peyer. If Waid is off this book then bring in Johns. Damn DC is having a problem getting the Flash right.
Lee: I don’t remember Peyer being that bad a writer. Don’t remember him being that good either but the same could be said about Jay Faeber’s early stuff. DC really need to settle this book down before it becomes the boy version of Supergirl.
Gwen: I have to agree with Lee - jumping creators this fast can only end up in disaster.

BATMAN: THE RESURRECTION OF RA’S AL GHUL HC Written by Peter Milligan, Grant Morrison, Fabian Nicieza, Paul Dini and Keith ChampagneArt by Don Kramer, Jason Pearson, Tony Daniel, David Lopez, Freddie Williams II, Ryan Benjamin and othersCover by Andy KubertBatman’s immortal foe, Ra’s Al Ghul, should be dead at last — so how has he returned to haunt The Dark Knight? Find out in this 256-page hardcover volume collecting the intense tale originally presented in Batman Annual #26, Batman #670-671, Robin #168-169, ROBIN ANNUAL #7, Nightwing #138-139, and Detective Comics #838-839!Ra’s al Ghul is back…but what does his return have to do with Batman’s teenaged son, Damian — whose mother is Ra’s al Ghul’s daughter, Talia? It will take the combined skills of Batman, Robin and Nightwing to get to the bottom of these mysteries and stop Ra’s al Ghul’s insidious plans!Advance-solicited; on sale May 7 • 256 pg, FC, $29.99 US
Jim: The hard cover solicitations hit so fast the series hasn’t even been concluded. Who knows if I even want this book already. Slow down this stuff for a couple of months.
Lee: They really should slow this down. But I see the point. For those that buy more trades than singles (me) I want it faster. If I they don’t do the HC quickly then they potentially lose sales.
Gwen: I can see Lee's point... but they should at least wait until the story's done in the main books.

JACK KIRBY’S O.M.A.C.: ONE MAN ARMY CORPS HC Written by Jack KirbyArt by Kirby, Mike Royer and D. Bruce BerryCover by Kirby & RoyerWitness the early tales of Jack Kirby’s legendary creation O.M.A.C. in this hardcover collecting stories from O.M.A.C. #1-8 (1974-1975) plus artwork from WHO’S WHO! In one of his last major works for DC, Kirby envisions a 1984-inspired dystopia starring corporate nobody Buddy Blank, who is changed by a satellite called Brother Eye into the super-powered O.M.A.C. (One Man Army Corps). Enlisted by the Global Peace Agency, who police the world using pacifistic means, O.M.A.C. battles the forces of conformity in this short-lived but legendary series!Advance-solicited; on sale May 21 • 176 pg, FC, $24.99 US
Jim: Okay, okay I have said I have enough Kirby in my collection of hard covers to last a lifetime, but this was still so fun and outlandish stuff and I have to order it.
Lee: MINE MINE MINE MINE!!!! What can I say I love Omac’s super mohawk!
Gwen: blah I say, blah

JLA PRESENTS: AZTEK — THE ULTIMATE MAN TP Written by Grant Morrison & Mark MillarArt by Stephen Harris, Keith Champagne, Drew Geraci and othersCover by Howard Porter and John DellFrom writers Grant Morrison (52, BATMAN) and Mark Millar (Ultimates, Civil War) comes Aztek, the visionary hero from the 1990s! In these stories from Aztek: the Ultimate Man #1-10, Aztek fights the forces of evil in Vanity City, where he meets costumed characters including Green Lantern and The Joker!Advance-solicited; on sale April 30 • 240 pg, FC, $19.99 US
Lee: I remember this being good but I don't remember much more. This was some of Morrison's first superhero work so it is worth checking out.
Jim: I remember liking this series a lot and then being disappointed that it never sold. It is a shock to see this get the green light for a trade, but I’m buying it. Of course I could probably pick it up on E-Bay for $5 plus shipping.
Gwen: I have no idea what this is. Really. This must have been during my year or so of not seeing many comics. Or maybe it was before my time - not really sure.

SEVEN SOLDIERS OF VICTORY ARCHIVES VOL. 3 HC Written by Joe SamachsonArt by Arthur CazeneuveCover by Jon Small & Louis CazeneuveThe final volume collecting the classic adventures of the Seven Soldiers of Victory, originally presented in LEADING COMICS #9-14 (1944-1945)!Advance-solicited; on sale May 28 • 280 pg, FC, $59.99 US
Jim: Hell I have Volume 1 & 2, so I have to get 3. Of course I should read them but what the heck.
Lee: As a Golden Age collector this really interests me but is the art any good????
Gwen: You haven't read them? Then why are you getting them? Is this another one of your horde of books you'll read "one day"?
Jim: Yes it is.

THE STARMAN OMNIBUS VOL. 1 HC Written by James RobinsonArt by Tony Harris, Wade Von Grawbadger and othersCover by HarrisAt last — the hit series created by James Robinson (BATMAN: FACE THE FACE) and Tony Harris (EX MACHINA) of the 1990s is collected in a series of six spectacular hardcover editions. This inaugural volume features a new cover by Harris and collects STARMAN #0-16, originally published from 1994 to 1996.Advance-resolicited; on sale May 21 • 6.75” x 10.25” • 448 pg, FC, $49.99 US
Jim: I’m very happy to see this series get reprinted and I have heard that the paper quality will be better then the other Omnibus editions. I sure as hell hope so. This was one of the best series ever produced
Lee: Sign me up. I’m there!
Gwen: I've recently acquired most of this series as trades so will be reading it soon.

SHOWCASE PRESENTS: CHALLENGERS OF THE UNKNOWN VOL. 2 TP Written by France E. Herron and variousArt and cover by Bob BrownThrill to more than 500 pages of comic action collected from CHALLENGERS OF THE UNKNOWN #18-37 (1961-1964)! Along the way, the intrepid foursome faces dangers of every imaginable sort, including cosmic-powered alien beasts, doomed worlds, futuristic knights and much more.Advance-solicited; on sale April 23 • 528 pg, B&W, $16.99 US
Jim: The Challengers got really goofy and “sixties” crazy in the mid-sixties, but some of this material was pretty entertaining also.
Lee: This is really, really good material but spend the money and get the color version in the archives edition. It’s only $40 and the stories still read well. (Editor this material is not in any Archives edition)
Gwen: I've never really been interested in this series, too many other things to read.

THE NEW DYNAMIX #1 Written by Allen WarnerArt and cover by J.J. KirbyVariant cover by Jim Lee Get on board for a thrilling 5-issue miniseries written by Allen Warner (NINJA BOY) with eye-popping art by J.J. Kirby (DV8, GEN13)! Where have all the heroes gone? That’s what Lady Love — a Bay Area disc jockey — wants to know. Her alter ego, Love Rocket, is trying to keep her city from falling to pieces, but it’s not easy. During a mission, her crime-fighting partner does such a good job attacking a hostage-taker that he puts a child’s life in danger — while a TV news crew catches all the action. Their broadcast grabs a lot of attention from various people…including a WildStorm super-powered-being who’s been out of commission for years. Will this shock him into action?On sale March 5 • 1 of 5 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US
Jim: What the heck is this? Seems to be an odd little mini-series but Allen Warner has had a couple of good ideas before, so I will check out at least issue #1.
Lee: Her alter ego is “Love Rocket”? If it was a boy I might understand but a girl… named “Love Rocket”… Uuuummm yeah.
Gwen: Hahaha, this looks like it could be fun and amusing. Love Rocket *snickers*

THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN: BLACK DOSSIER — THE ABSOLUTE EDITION Written by Alan MooreArt and cover by Kevin O’NeillThe League of Extraordinary Gentlemen returns in this amazing new Absolute Edition! England in the mid 1950s is not the same as it was. The powers that be have instituted…some changes. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen has been disbanded and disavowed, and the country is under the control of an iron-fisted regime. Now, after many years, the still youthful Mina Murray and a rejuvenated Allan Quatermain return and are in search of some answers. Answers that can only be found in a book buried deep in the vaults of their old headquarters, a book that holds the key to the hidden history of the League throughout the ages: The Black Dossier.This amazing new Absolute Edition is sure to thrill fans, and includes a 3-D section complete with custom 3-D glasses, plus text pieces, maps, and a stunning cutaway double-page spread of Captain Nemo's Nautilus submarine by Kevin O'Neill. As if this wasn’t enough, also included is a NEW rarity: a 45-rpm vinyl recording of the song "Immortal Love," sung by Alan Moore himself!Retailers please note: This title is published in the United States only.Advance-solicited; on sale June 11 • 8.25” x 12.5”200 pages, FC/B&W, $99.00 US • Mature Readers
Lee: Let me see if I read this right... for $99 I am getting a 45 rpm vinyl recording???? And who has the ability to even play this? And a couple of points for the record: (1) I'd bet money Alan Moore can't sing. I heard Warren Ellis sing and it made my ears bleed. I don't believe Mr. Moore would be any better. (2) Tim Truman did the vinyl flexidisc in the pages of Scout when it was published by Eclipse in the 80's. It's not that new an idea. No less stupid, just not new.
Jim: Okay the hard cover came out yesterday and now you want $100 from me for a bigger size version and I get a record I can’t play. Sometimes I may have sucker stamped on my forehead, but I have not even tried to read this book yet as it is so damn dense and I have not heard any rave reviews for it yet, so no thanks.
Gwen: I'm about to read this book as Jim lent it to me, but I can't imagine wanting to spend that much money on a deluxe version. I mean really, I can see the point with Sandman and Kingdom Come... but this?

YOUNG LIARS #1 Written by David LaphamArt and cover by LaphamIndie comics auteur and SILVERFISH creator David Lapham hasn’t embarked on a monthly series since STRAY BULLETS, his magnum opus that garnered industry awards and international acclaim. Now Lapham’s back with YOUNG LIARS, his first full-color monthly series, about a group of misfits and their desperate attempt to salvage their crushed dreams.“I haven’t had this much fun since my Uncle Chuck took me on a crime spree in the fourth grade.” — David LaphamAt the core of YOUNG LIARS is the disturbing relationship between Danny Noonan, a habitual liar and crap guitar player from Texas, and Sadie Dawkins, the object of his desire. Sadie was a poor little rich girl until a bullet lodged in her brain turned her into an adrenaline junkie who only listens to Danny.But who shot Sadie is only part of the mystery that drives YOUNG LIARS, from the twisted club scene of lower Manhattan to absurdist hijinx on the high seas. And from the hot shores of Ibiza to the haunted castles of Spain, Danny, Sadie and their entourage of losers will run from poorly disguised assassins, demented billionaires, and psychotic midgets — not to mention each other — in an absurd quest to get rich and famous. Or kill each other trying. YOUNG LIARS will provide relentless action, suspense, sex and murder in the way that only David Lapham can deliver.A sneak peek will run in DMZ #28. Watch for a graphic trailer at dccomics.com.On sale March 5 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • MATURE READERS
Jim: Hard to not want to check out a new series by Lapham. I have never read Stray Bullets and I hear the beginning of the series was great, so I’m curious to check this out.
Lee: READ STRAY BULLETS!!!! That series is great. And, Laphams work since then has been, for the most part, really good too. It’s always worth investigating his new latest efforts.
Gwen: This looks like it could be interesting. I never read Stray Bullets either... but oh well, I'd still be willing to try this book out.

JLA BUILD-A-SCENE STATUE: PART 1 Based on the art of Ed BenesSculpted by Alterton BizarreEd Benes’ legendary image from the cover of JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #7 stands tall as it becomes a multi-part statue! Sold in three parts, each features two of the world’s greatest superheroes and includes a piece of a bonus Red Tornado figure. (To fully assemble Red Tornado, all three Build-a-Scene statues are needed.) All of the pieces slide together to make a complete cover scene in striking 3-D!• The first part of the statue includes Batman, Wonder Woman, and the base and tornado portion of Red Tornado.• Part two will include Superman, Black Canary, and the torso of Red Tornado.• Part three will include Green Lantern, The Flash, and the head and cape of Red Tornado.The JLA BUILD-A-SCENE STATUE is a limited-edition, hand-painted, cold-cast porcelain statue measuring approximately 8” tall x 14” wide x 10” deep when fully assembled. (Each piece measures approximately 8” tall x 5” wide x 5” deep, except for Red Tornado, which measures approximately 10.375” tall x 8.5” wide x 5.5” deep.) It includes a certificate of authenticity and is packaged in a 4-color box. This limited edition statue is manufactured to order.Advance-solicited; on sale August 13, 2007 * Statue * $150 US
Jim: So let’s see if I get this right. I will eventually pay $450 and have to assemble Red Tornado myself as he comes in three pieces. If I just want the Wonder Woman / Batman portion I will still have the whirlwind behind them. Hmmmm……NO!
Lee: Yeah, baby. THIS WILL BE MINE!!! In two years… when it hits ebay… and I can actually afford. BUT BY 2025 THIS WILL BE MINE!!!
Gwen: Wow, waaaay overpriced.

GREEN LANTERN VS. SINESTRO BOOKENDS Inspired by the art of Ethan Van SciverBitter enemies Green Lantern and Sinestro battle it out in these bookends, based on art from the hit storyline “The Sinestro Corps War.” This limited edition, cold-cast porcelain bookend set includes a full-color Certificate of Authenticity and is packaged in a 4-color box. Each side measures approximately 8” tall x 6” wide x 6” deep.Advance-solicited; on sale August 27, 2007 * Bookends * $295.00 US
Jim: Oh they look nice, but how can anyone justify $300 for book ends?
Lee: I can ya cheap skate. $300 for something that will collect dust before it eventually falls off the shelf and breaks. A perfectly reasonable investment.
Gwen: Still - they are cool looking.

Jim: Lots of interesting stuff and a lot more of the higher end product is being solicited with trades, hard covers and collectibles being a big part of the product mix. Still more exciting then the last two months.
Lee: Sadly enough it is getting better. I like the HC’s and trades because there is lots of good stuff coming. AND, for Christmas in seven years I’m asking for a build-a-red-tornado statue. OOOHHH the anticipation is killing me.
Gwen: Lots of expensive things.... shouldn't they have released this stuff before Christmas? Ah well, I can't really say anything seeing how I get my comic books for free.

6 comments:

  1. Hey guys at least the art on FLASH will be good.

    Freddie Williams is a true up and coming talent in the DC pool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron - You are right - Freddie is an up and coming star.

    ReplyDelete
  3. STARMAN....OMNIBUS....

    Thank you sweet jumping Jesus on a Pogo stick.

    Thank you.

    ...

    The BATMAN HC is a no-brainer as the end of that Ra's storyline literally was so horrid with both the art and story I thought they were retconning Spider-Man in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed the AZTEK trade too!

    Another GEM.

    At least DC's old stuff is good...

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the record (pun intended) I can play a 45 rpm vinyl disc. I will always need a working record player to play my old Power Records and Ferrante and Teicher albums!!!

    I definitely want to get OMAC. The thing that kills me is that I had just finished my Jack Kirby OMAC, Captain America, Eternals and Black Panther single issue collections and then they come out with the trades and HC's! It'll be cheap on Amazon at least.

    I'd like for one of y'all to give a detailed review of the Starman series for those of us that aren't that familiar with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been a few years but STARMAN blends the best of old-school DC heroes and modern ones while interweaving an overall story not just about hero (and villain) legacies but also incorporating the family aspect of the DCU and showing just how interconnected it all is.

    It shows the love of what has come before while offering something new and wonderful and cool.

    I cannot recommend it enough and look forward to reading it all again.

    ReplyDelete