I'm probably going to be rather brief this month. It's vacation season and I bought more than usual in June. A lot of interesting new titles out, and that doesn't even include Miniature Jesus where I missed the second issue and am holding off on mentioning issue 3 until I get 2. Off and running.
10. Thor: God of Thunder 9 - "Then it rained hammers. And Thors." Not
11. Unwritten 50 - A larger than usual issue for the landmark numbering and the start of a cross over into the Fables realm. I'm not a big crossover fan, and the last time there was one involving Fables and Jack of Fables I was sorely disappointed. This one is taking the tactic of having Tom's appearance alter how things went with the fight against Mister Dark. In this version surviving Fables are on the run, hiding from Dark and his minions, which includes all Mundy's who are still alive. So far it's a better start than the Jack of Fables one, and I think it helps that there's no portion of the story occurring in the Fables title. If you just want to read Unwritten, that's all you need to do.
12. Fairest 16 - The India adventure continues with Charming. Kind of drawn out this issue with Charming and Nala chasing the dhole to try to beat them to her village. Not sure who the guy is working with the dhole.
13. Mouse Guard: Legend of the Gaurd (vol 2) 1 - Another 4 issue set of guest creators in Mr Petersen's world. Lots of nice little tales here by Stan Sakai, Nick Tapalansky, Alex Eckman, and Ben Caldwell.
14. Bodie Troll 2 - Still a lot of fun in the all ages realm. Plenty of dirty roots to go around.
15. The Wake 2 - Merpeople are fishy. So are the survace people. Snyder and Murphy will tie this altogether, I'm sure, but it was a little bit standard set up this issue.
16. Dark Horse Presents 25 - Lots of good stories but if you go into this expecting a Buffy story, and the cover on some issues showing her fighting vamps, you're going to be disappointed. The Buffy story is of some tertiary fighter I don't know from the TV show. Looks like Slayers include gay males now, not just females. Wonder how they wrote that into the mythos.
17. The Black Beetle 4 - This was a really good, fun noir superhero series. It's very much in the spirit of the old pulp stories, rather than a superhero, really. Good work by Francavilla.
18. Ten Grand 2 - A lot of good books this month, obviously, for this to be down this far on the List. The question of who's actually seen an afterlife and whether the manipulators behind the mission are who they say they are is already smacking our hero in the face.
24. Jupiter's Legacy 2 - It sure is pretty but the story of disaffected superpowered second generation and a jealous brother aren't exactly new. A couple more issues and if something more interesting hasn't happened, I'll have to move on.