Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The Real Meaning of Thanksgiving

I'm sure you're expecting some big discussion about Pilgrims and Indians and all that mush, but I think it's safe to say that the meaning of Thanksgiving has changed over the years.

It's still about giving thanks for the things we have but it's also taken on the added sense of "Thank goodness I'm not you!"

I think it started as families became more dispersed around the country. Because my brother lives in New Hampshire, and my cousins live in Colorado and California, I don't get to see them as much as I once did. It also means that when we get together it becomes a huge competition to see who has the best kids.

I’ve always noticed that my kids were better than your kids but I always wondered if my kids were better than my brother’s kids. My brother has been in town for a couple of days and this is what I have noticed…

My kids like to "push the limits"
My brother's little girl is a "trouble maker"
And your kids... Well good luck because the way your kids acts they are going to jail.

My kids occasionally have trouble with pronunciation.
My brother's little boy makes “sounds” with a thick Boston accent
And your kids... Are you teaching your kid English? Because I'm pretty sure he/she couldn't be understood by a mime.

My kids are "independent thinkers"
My brother's kids don’t like to follow directions
And at the rate your kids are going, they will have their name sewed into the their shirt for whatever job they are lucky enough to get.

But, I'm glad my brother is here and I enjoy seeing him. And, I bet that he's says the same thing about my kids!

Have a great Thanksgiving y'all.

1 comment: