Saturday, August 22, 2009

A Fistful of Reviews

Okay, one of these books (Echo) is from last week but as I was out of town at Gencon (which was awesome!) I ended up with two weeks of books to read at once. At least I think it was just that book. Oh well, on to the reviews...




Adventure Comics #1 (DC)


I enjoyed this book - mostly. It was a decent opening but I thought the lists of what Superman and Lex did in their lives was a bit hokey. Everything else was really well done though. It's nice to see Conner living with Ma Kent as I'm sure she's pretty lonely what with Pa being gone and Clark living off planet. I was wondering what was up with Conner hitting on the blond girl though - I mean, really, when you have Wondergirl as a girlfriend why would you even want to look at another girl? The Legion backup story was all well and good but I really think the Legion should just have their own book.




Echo #14 (Abstract Studio)


Ok... so you're on the run from some people who seem to have bad intentions towards you and also seem to have lots of money to throw into finding you. Why in the world would you go home??? *sigh* Still, I have faith in Terry Moore so we'll have to see where this goes.




Batman: Blackest Night


GLCorps #39: Blackest Night


Blackest Night #2 (DC)


I have a lot of mixed feelings about this Blackest Night event. Firstly I think that a lot of the work Johns has done with the color spectrum of rings has been really cool. At Gencon they were selling Lantern shirts for all the different corps. I got Jim and myself Blue Lantern shirts (Red was sold out) and I saw a ton of people around the con wearing these shirts. Blue was actually the most popular following Green. The fan response to this event (or what's built to it) has been really neat to see. Second the characters have been well written and the plot solidly developed. But... the mass amounts of death just bothers me. I mean we've barely started and Hawkman and Hawkgirl are dead, Aqualad is dead, there have been tons of bystanders killed, and I'm sure it's just the beginning. I guess mass death, even in a comic book, bothers me. Also there seems to be no way to fight these zombies. I'm sure the good guys will eventually figure out something but these are pretty desolate books right now. The kidney punches are coming so quickly that they're beginning to have no meaning. I have confidence that much of this will pull together by the end of the story but it's going to be a rough ride getting there. As an aside I really like Boston Brand, Dick Grayson and Damien's interractions.

2 comments:

  1. AHHH-HHAAAAA! I'm not the only one bothered by the excessive death and gore!

    That's two for my team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY! Where's the GenCon report with cool photo's????

    And, who did you dress as this year? Besides a blue lantern?

    Were ya Ohura with the short red Trek Uni? Maybe Leia in the slave gear? Manga Wonder Woman in strings and braclets????

    The world wants to know.

    ReplyDelete