Well, I'm finally getting around to the post I alluded to ten days ago for Star Trek's 60th anniversary. And the celebrations continue for me as I'm thoroughly enjoying re-watching the first series' episodes, some by myself and some with my wife. That shared enjoyment of the series began a long time ago and was a key factor in knowing she'd be a suitable mate for me. So let's slingshot around the sun and go back in time from somewhat recently to a long, long time ago...(Sorry, wrong franchise)
This past Labor Day weekend was gloriously fun as theatres nationwide were playing classic Star Trek episodes with one of the first four movies from Friday through Monday, or you could watch a marathon of everything on the actual anniversary, Tuesday, September 8th. As soon as I read about the releases, I got two tickets for each movie, picking prime seat locations. The first three were at 4pm, and the last one was at 7pm. While I hoped my wife would attend some of them, I was ecstatic that she wanted to "go on the Star Trek adventure" with me and watch them all!
And if you think I tried hard to get the last three all on one row - "Ye're richt"
The episodes were nicely paired, as you can see in the images above. And it was so cool to see them on the big screen! In case you're wondering, they were the enhanced versions. The movies themselves were awesome (as always), but I was especially excited to see Star Trek III and IV, since I don't believe they've been rereleased previously since their first run. And I saw them all in theatres when they first came out:
ST:TMP (age 9) - I think we might have seen it at the Ridge Cinema, since it probably had the best audio at the time.
STII:TWOK (age 12) - I'm pretty sure we saw it at the Westhampton Theatre. I clearly remember riding in the back of my brother's car as we raced into town to see it. We barely got there in time and had to sit near the front on the left-hand side. I cried when Kirk said, "...his was the most human." In 2016, I took my whole family to see the rerelease in IMAX at the National Air and Space Museum in DC. (There's another Star Trek tale of mine at that location from 1992).
STIII:SFS (age 14) - I don't remember the theatre, but my 8th-grade Social Studies teacher took me to see it that summer, before I started high school. I even picked up one of the glasses at Taco Bell. I cried again when Spock said, "Jim, your name is Jim."
STIV:TVH (age 16) - I had a free pass to see the premiere at the Ridge Cinema, which I picked up from Dave's Comics. (After I moved to Maryland, I lost touch with Dave, Marlon, and Wendy. But when I heard about Dave's passing, I drove down to his funeral. He and his shop were a huge part of my high school years.) I drew a picture of the robed Spock and gave it to them as a thank you. In line with a friend (and what a long line it was), I received a red (T-) shirt emblazoned with the STIV logo. Unfortunately, I gave it away to a girl I briefly dated at the end of high school, a relationship which lasted longer for me than it did for her - if that tells you anything! I cried tears of joy when the crew flew over the Excelesior and saw the Enterprise-A (1701-A) for the first time.
I still get emotional during those scenes whenever I watch them - the music certainly is part of the reason.
To add to my enjoyment during these last viewings, I had just finished reading three Star Trek movie books from Titan (the fourth is on order).
The only downside is that I had just purchased the 4K/Blu-ray versions of the films right before I learned they'd be in theatres again. I could've saved $78!
The next day, on the actual 60th anniversary, my wife and I watched the first episode, "Man Trap". The following week, this past Tuesday, we watched the second episode, "Charlie X". In between and since, I've been watching the third season in reverse! There's a reason for this. Often, when you start a binge, you eventually lose steam and never get to the end! So I'm targeting those later episodes, which I've probably watched the least. Thus far, I've seen the following:
#79 - Turnabout Intruder
#78 - All our Yesterdays (with Pam)
#77 - The Savage Curtain
#76 - The Cloud Minders
#75 - The Way to Eden (a.k.a Space Hippie episode)
#74 - Requiem for Methuselah
#73 - The Lights of Zetar
#72 - That Which Survives
#71 - The Mark of Gideon
I wish I had time to remark on each of them!
That covers the last few weeks, but my history with Star Trek goes way back to when I was around four or five years old. I had the MEGO Star Trek figures, my first being Kirk and Spock. (I remember playing with them in the tree in our front yard.) Eventually, I had the Enterprise playset and the rare (so rare I lost mine somewhere) Mission to Gamma Hydra VI! I watched Filmations' animated series before I ever saw the original show. I had some of the Foto-Novels. Needless to say, Star Trek was one of the earliest pop culture phenomena to pervade my psyche before the Star Wars revelation in 1977. You could say that it's part of my DNA (dramatic narrative appreciations).
Let's skip (or forget about) Star Trek V when I was 19 and jump to 1991. I'm 21, a junior in college, and starting to have feelings for my best friend, Pam. The TV spots for Star Trek VI are really getting me pumped for the movie. So pumped that I actually thought I might risk it all and tell her that I like her. While I didn't do it the day we saw the movie, I did do it a few days later. The initial reaction wasn't what I hoped for, but 35 years later, I can tell you the Lord worked it all out in the end!
You see, I had a list of requirements for anyone I would marry. And, "She's got to love Star Trek" was number five! The reason: I wanted a companion that could share my love and enthusiasm for the show (and similar types). Maybe not to the same degree, but it would be a real drag to not be able to enjoy one of your favorite things with your favorite person! I know there are plenty of couples that make it work without having that commonality, but I'm so thankful that I get to enjoy both at the same time.
In case you were wondering, here's the rest of the Top 5*:
#4. My wife would want to have kids, Lord willing (we have six and two granddaughters with a third on the way).
#3. My wife would be attractive to me and vice versa. She still is and always will be!
#2. My wife would need to be my best friend. Ditto!
#1. My wife must be a born-again Christian (a.k.a. "saved" or Christ follower). Praise God!
Psalm 37:4"Delight yourself in the LORD, and He will give you the desires of your heart."
It's interesting, or you could say "fascinating", that my attempt to arrange the Star Trek 1701 collection soundtracks in view with a picture of Pam and me, taken at the Paradise Cove Beach Cafe, looks like a path! As this post attests, Star Trek did lead me (in a way) to her.
*There was another requirement, not included in the Top 5, but equally important - see poem link for details.
Nice post but now I want to rest of the story after the not the reaction I hoped for remark. A love story and Star Trek awesome!
ReplyDeleteThere’s a link to the rest of our story above.
ReplyDelete