Thursday, January 18, 2007

April Previews Review - DC

52: WEEKS 48-52
Jim: So I’m really looking forward to the end of 52 to see how DC wraps this whole thing up. I’m also pleased that while they are adding 4 extra issues to round out WWIII, said titles are only $2.50 each. The $2.50 is fast becoming a historical relic. It seems obvious the Renee Montoya will be the new Question and I also wonder if Ralph makes it out alive. After all that has happened to him I don’t know how much fun he would be as a character.
Lee: I don’t read the series but I must say I am really, really curious about the changes with the Question. As long as they don’t pull a Speedball move, it will be good.



AMAZONS ATTACK #1 Written by Will Pfeifer Art and cover by Pete Woods
Jim: I like Will Pfeifer as a writer and Pete Woods is a very good artist so this series has some potential. Also the idea of Amazons attacking is a strangely appealing image. I guess if we have to be invaded and taken over by an outside group I’d rather it be Amazons then Klingons. Still I have my doubts about how good this book will be, I think it is a hard one to pull off.
Lee: I agree this is interesting. I have always like Pete Woods art and this has the potential to have lots of big, fight scenes. Then again, I thought the War of the Gods mini would have all sorts of good stuff too.


NIGHTWING ANNUAL #2 Written by Marc Andreyko Art and cover by Joe Bennett & Jack Jadson
Jim: Number one, why did they put Dick back in the short pants for the cover. No wonder Babs dumped him. This annual is supposed to explain what happened to Dick and Barbara relationship. For me, no reason will be good enough. They belong together in my book and DC’s constantly keeping them apart just gets me ticked off. Good luck on making me like this book, oh I will have to buy, just so I can hate it.
Lee: Buy it to hate it. I admire your dedication to a title!!! I can’t say anything because I stopped reading X-men at 300 but got another 60+ issues in the collection.

THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD #3 Written by Mark Waid Art by George Pérez & Bob Wiacek
Jim: This book is one I can’t wait for. This for me is a pure fan dream. Mark Waid (great writer), George Perez (fantastic artist) and Batman, guest stars and the Fatal Five of Legion fame. It looks like it should be wall to wall fun. George Perez maybe the best pure super artist ever.
Lee: One of the few titles I am waiting for trade on. I agree that it should be good but I can’t see paying for it twice.



DOCTOR FATE #1 Written by Steve Gerber Art and cover by Paul Gulacy
Jim: Steve Gerber is back, Paul Gulacy with a regular assignment. I feel like I stepped in the way back machine from Rocky and Bullwinkle and landed in the eighties or somewhen. I love Dr. Fate and Dr. Strange, but I also think this are the two hardest characters to write in comics. Plus Dr. Fate is going to be Kent Nelson again (albeit an apparently different Kent Nelson) and I’m not sure if that is a good idea. I prefer to move forward and this feels a little like a sideways move. Still I’m anxious to see if they can make this a good series. I’ll be rooting for it, but I’m not sold that it will work.
Lee: Another wow. This should be good. But Dr. Fate is so hard to do right. Gerber’s last book, Hardtime (?) was very good so he still has the mojo, but can he do it again. I am really surprised they picked Gulacy for this. His strength is big, muscular men and women, such as Batman, Catwoman, and Master Kung Fu. Magic??? I am not sure he’s a good fit. And is it me, or does the lights behind Dr. Fate make it look like he is wearing headphones???

GOLDEN AGE DR. FATE ARCHIVES VOL. 1 HC Written by Gardner Fox
Jim: But I’m sold on this. The golden age was not always the strongest of material, but I haven’t read much of the old Dr. fate stuff so I’m looking forward to reading this one. It is amazing how weak some of the golden age material appears today, but it was produced for an entirely different market place. Still they laid the ground work that all the comic writers are working from to this day.
Lee: You are soooo diehard DC. Golden age horror, humor, westerns have all survived the times well. Golden Age superheroes I really believe you need to have an affection for the character. I read some of the reprints in the 100 page giants DC published in the 70’s. Those were more than enough for me.

JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA VOL. 1 HARDCOVER Written by Brad Meltzer Art by Ed Benes & Sandra Hope Cover by Michael Turner
Jim: I include this just to gripe. I’m sick and tired of 6 issue hard covers being done as soon as the sixth issue is published. DC used to always try to do the hard covers right and now they are in a Marvel mindset of printing the hard covers right on the heels of the book being issued. Still in DVD land 24’s 4 hour premier was being sold the day after the last two hours aired. I’m waiting for them to be selling the movie on DVD as we exit the theatre.
Lee: Does this mean you are buying it? You seem to like it so much on the radio show!!!
Jim: This means no one should buy it.

WOMEN OF THE DC UNIVERSE: DONNA TROY BUST Designed by Adam Hughes
Jim: I won’t buy it, but still you must admit this Women of DC Busts play into ever stereotype everyone has of comic fans.
Lee: Heavy emphasis on bust! Where exactly would you display this? Actually, I would never be able to display it because it would always be hidden under my sons mattress for some unknown reason.




FABLES #60 Written by Bill Willingham Art by Mark Buckingham & Steve Leialoha
Jim: New story arc focusing of Flycatcher. If you are not buying this comic you are missing one of the all time great series ever produced. This book may surpass Sandman as the all time greatest Vertigo series.
Lee: A great jumping on point. I’ve heard rumor of people not actually reading this but I think it’s an urban legend. The real question, why are there no Fables HC’s????

BATMAN BLACK AND WHITE VOL. 3 TP
Lee:The Batman B&W collections have always been some of the best out there. If you haven't read the first two you don't know what you are missing!
Jim: Agreed. This was some excellent work.

SHOWCASE PRESENTS: THE WAR THAT TIME FORGOT VOL. 1 TP Written by Robert Kanigher Art and cover by Ross Andru & Mike EspositoLee: 500 pages of the US Army v. Dinosaurs.
Lee: This is soooo awesome. With amazing art by Andry and Espositio. You really can't lose with this!
Jim: I thought I was the only person looking forward to this book.




ARMY@LOVE #2 Written by Rick Veitch Art and cover by Veitch & Gary Erskine
Lee: Another book that I have no clue what to expect. But Veitch is at his best when he does really really weird stuff so this has a chance.
Jim: Read Veitch's last novella and still wondering what the hell was going on. Rick is like the last psychedelic type mind wandering around.

2 comments:

  1. Jim-

    I have to say that DC is doing showcase reprints right. Mostly 70's to get people hooked and a smattering of older stuff not covered by Mastworks.

    Showcase greats, Unknown Soldier, Phantom Stranger, House of Mystery Vol 1 & 2, Jonah Hex, Haunted Tank.

    I am closer to having all those than I am the Marvel Essentials.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lee - If the Essential or Showcase covers something I don't havein hard cover I usually will try it out. It's a cheap reprint and fun reading. The books won;t last any number of years as it is a cheap reprint. So I should pass these on instead of saving them when I'm done. I still want sold old Martain Manhunter stuff and marvel needs to roll out Bronze Age Essentials.

    ReplyDelete