Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Memorial Day

Well, Memorial Day has come and gone and sadly, like most Americans I think I missed the point. Unfortunately, it's easy to do these days. Everyone is so busy between work, and family, and school, or just having fun that we forget what Memorial Day is all about. We all look at Memorial Day as the beginning of summer. Or a free day off. Or according to television, the biggest car sales event until President's Day. But that's not the point of Memorial day... it really isn't...

In case you weren't aware, Memorial Day is a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation's service.
I don't think I knew what that meant until I saw this photo....



This made me realize just what this day was about. While you and I and all our friends went to the pool or to a bar-b-q or just got together with friends, there are brave men and women who have given their lives for us to enjoy a "day off". If you didn't take a moment to reflect upon what this day is really about, take a second and do it now. It may be a day late but the soldiers who have sacrifced everything for us will appreciate it.

And, if you want to learn more, I suggest the Memorial day webpage, http://www.usmemorialday.org/ From the history od M- Day, I felt this said it all
"Memorial Day is not about division. It is about reconciliation; it is about coming together to honor those who gave their all."

4 comments:

  1. Terrific post and well said, could not agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post, but it's brought out the nitpicker in me. Those who gave all won't appreciate our concern or remembrance, but their families will. The occasion, like funerals, is for the living. The dead are beyond caring.

    May be the best photo for the holiday that I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thomm-

    I know many who would disagree about the dead not caring. I think it's all relative... since we don't know, there is a chance the actual person may see/hear/appreciate. Then again, maybe not the person but his/her essence will feel the collective rememberance. It's all a matter of perception.

    But, I agree, it is a great form of respect for the relatives that are still here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well put. The picture is very affecting.

    You can also honor those that sacrificed greatly. There are a number of soldiers that did not die but have come back burned, amputated, or scarred.

    You can honor the sacrifices they have made. That's what this day is about too.

    I have a friend that was supposed to be done his four years last December and got STOP LOST. He has been in Iraq for the last year and has no idea when he is coming home. They extended his tour.

    But you are right about one thing, the ghosts do appreciate the honor. Even the ghosts that are still breathing.

    Peace.

    -SJD

    ReplyDelete