Saturday, June 30, 2012

Summer Reading Plan 2012 (or What's in your suitcase?)

"Vacation -- All I ever wanted.  Vacation -- Had to get away." Go-Gos


Well, if all goes as planned I'll be heading west today with my family for our annual 5000 mile round-trip driving excursion.  Actually, the first leg will just be me and the six kids as my wife is staying behind the first week to put our rental house up for sale. So as always happens this time of year, I'm left with the daunting task of deciding what reading material to pack (not to mention the daunting task of driving 9+ hours and 500+ miles by myself for the first two days). 

Sure, I've got TONS of things that I need to catch up on, but those Omniboos aren't really designed for travel.  I don't even want to take any Masterworks either (and I'm suspending my successful Avengers Reading Inititive for the time being -- up to 20+ issues in each group so far! [more on that another time]).  Anyway, this year I determined to pare things down and not overpack.  I'm pretty sure I failed in that regard, but judge for yourself, since I'm going to show you what I selected.  Y'all can be my accountablity parnters on whether I actually read any of this stuff.

Blame it on Lee (and a nice segway from yesterday), but first up is the original 12-issues of the Micronauts. Technically, I'm bringing the 5-issue Baxter reprint series, but I wanted to show off my favorite Micro cover. (Yes, I was too lazy to take some of these out of their bags to scan...)


6 more after the break (I always wanted to say that -- not really)

To be honest, while Mirconauts was first up to display in the post, the series I'm most looking forward to reading is Avengers Forever.  (You didn't think I could be Avengers-free for three weeks did you?)


And...that brings me to the neo-classic Avengers/JLA mini-series. (Or is that JLA/Avengers?)


Finally, rounding out the comic books, I've got the Cinder and Ashe mini-series that I picked up as an empty subscriber box bonus.  I have no idea if it's good, but I love Garcia-Lopez' art.


I said "comic books" before, instead of books with pictures, because I've got two REAL books WITH pictures:

Avengers and the Thunderbolts (1999)


and

Untold Tales of Spider-Man (1997)


This is the one I'm most excited about reading, especially if the new webhead movie is great.

Last but not least or more precisely "the last shall be FIRST"...The Books of the Bible (Todays New International Version).  I read through the Bible every year and lately have been following the J. Jackson reading plan of 3 to 4 chapters a day with 10 a day in the Psalms.  This particular edition is organized a bit differently than normal.  I'm on page 931 already and usually try to read from Monday thru Thursday, taking a break on the weekend.


Well, that's it folks.  I've got something really different next weekend and the following two after that will be my beloved buffer posts (so keep in mind that they were written months ago), followed by who knows what before the hiatus.  Take care.









1 comment:

  1. Summer and comics, ah. I remember going to the cottage and being able pick up a four pack of comics and reading them all summer. Last summer I read Final Crisis and Flash: Rebirth graphic novels. They were a great read at the beach. This summer I may try Marvel Zombies some Captain America or More Green Lantern.

    ReplyDelete