Monday, April 05, 2010

What I’m Getting Wednesday April 7


This Wednesday is Jamie’s birthday. Happy Birthday Jamie! Hope you celebrate your birthday week with your first post. Lee shares the same birthday, so it is a two for Wednesday out there. All of the readers who never comment should feel free to wish the two kids happy birthday.

We are back to a four week month and my list is still on the calmer side, which makes me happy. I know one day a gazillion books will hit at once so I’m taking the quieter weeks as a pleasant respite.


I’ll start with the other category this week. I have four from Image and one from BOOM. I was on the fence about Turf #1 and Codebreakers #1, but decided to give both a try since my list was smaller than other weeks. The Codebreakers mini-series from Boom sounds cool, but I like books that have that sort of intellectual spy type of bent. The other three books are Invincible Returns, Proof #26 and Astounding Wolf-Man #22. Invincible Returns probably won’t do much for regular fans, but it makes sense to give people a good jumping on point as being at issue #70 does scare off some readers.


My Marvel list barely beats other the other category with New Avengers Luke Cage #1 (of 3), Realm of Kings Son of Hulk #3 (of 4), Stephen King’s “N” #2 (of 4), Moon Knight #7, Uncanny X-Men #522 (Part 2 of Second Coming) and Shield #1. There is no contest out of these books, I’m dying to read Shield #1. I have been waiting for Marvel to do Shield series for a really long time and Hickman should be the perfect writer for it. Now it appears that a lot of retro-conning is going on and Shield is being made over into a secret society organization with ties to be the past throughout history. I think we are getting a little of the Dan Brown type of thing going on, but if done well this could be a cool new series inside the MU. I have three game day decision with Marvel as there is a new Cap /Black Panther mini-series, Avengers the Origin mini-series and Spider-Man The Fever mini-series by Brendan McCarthy coming out that I want to check out at the store. I still like to check out some books at the store as it reminds me of being a kid again and going to the newsstand with no idea of what is coming out and having to pick only a few books as opposed to getting everything I wanted.


Vertigo is well represented this week with the Area 10 HC, Cinderella from Fabletown with Love #6 (of 6), Demo Volume 2 #3 (of 6), House of Mystery #24 and Sweet Tooth #8. The crime novels Vertigo has been releasing have been very good for the most part and Area 10 should be great with Christos Gage as the writer and Chris Samnee on the art. The solicitation copy says “In New York City, a killer known as "Henry The Eighth" leaves a trail of decapitated corpses — keeping the severed heads to use for unknown purposes. NYPD Detective Adam Kamen leads the investigation, until a seemingly unrelated freak incident leaves him with a brain injury in the section known as "Brodmann Area 10." When he recovers, Adam's perceptions of time are altered. He becomes slowly convinced that his bizarre condition could be tied directly to the "Henry" case — and that the key may lie in the ancient, mystical practice of trepanation.” My big crime is I have a few OGN hard covers I have yet to read.

Batman and Superman are well represented in my list this week with Batman and Robin #11, Batman and Robin Deluxe HC Volume 1 Batman Reborn, Batman Confidential #43, Red Robin #11, Superman the Last Stand of New Krypton #2 (of 3) and Superman Secret Origins #5 (of 6). I’m picking up the six issue hard cover collection because I’m convinced DC may never pull together Grant’s run on Batman with a nice collected series and at least the deluxe edition is the slightly oversized version which enhances the artwork. Still DC is missing the boat in how to collect these books. Marvel had it right with the oversized format collecting 12 issues at a time, but they have also abandoned that format. I wish I was in charge of putting the collected editions out because both companies need to work a little better at getting the formats done right.


To round out the DC books I have Doom Patrol #9, Flash Secret Files and Origins 2010, Great Ten #6 (of 10), Jonah Hex #54, JSA All Stars #5, Nemesis the Imposters #2 (of 4) and Warlord #13. After reading the last issue of Nemesis I went and picked up the trade of the mini-series. I had dropped the mini-series as it seemed to be going nowhere, but it read better as a trade. Nemesis was put through his paces and is now part of the Global Peace Agency (created by Jack Kirby during his OMAC series). That context I think will make this Nemesis series better, but the last mini-series has to be considered a failure if it did not work as an episodic comic. Writers need to make the issues stand on their own and build to a greater whole, not just be a longer story chopped into six pieces.


So that is what I’m getting this week and week two is usually the slowest week before the publishers pound the living crap out of me on the next two weeks. Plus the hard cover collections should be coming back out again. I have skipped a few things lately as I have hit a saturation point with certain types of material.

No comments:

Post a Comment