Tuesday, October 18, 2011

DC Preview Review For December Part 1 of 2

Jim: Yikes, these preview reviews keep coming around every darn month. What the heck is up with that stuff? As I type this the second issues are now halfway through and I have to say talent is talent. The best books are by Scott Snyder, Jeff Lemire, Grant Morrison and Brian Azzarello, not a big surprise.
Lee:  Oooohhhh. special guest appearance by me.  I haven't done this in so long I'm all giddy with excitement. 

WONDER WOMAN #4
Written by BRIAN AZZARELLO
Art and cover by CLIFF CHIANG
On sale DECEMBER 21 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
Wonder Woman has left Paradise Island behind, but Hera is just arriving. Without the Amazons’ most powerful daughter to protect them, can they withstand the wrath of a God who once favored them? And why would Zola want Diana to march right back into the eye of the storm?
Jim: I have only read one issue, but what I liked about it was the feeling that we were getting more of an epic type of story and one that is central to Wonder Woman being a part of it. Plus Chiang’s art is great and we have no question that Wonder Woman is a true Amazon by her stature and beauty.
Lee:  This was one of those books that really seemed to get a mixed reaction.  Some loved it, some hated it, but it appears that everyone is sticking around for a couple of issues. 


 
ACTION COMICS #4
Written by GRANT MORRISON and JOSHUA HALE FIALKOV
Art by RAGS MORALES, GENE HA, RICK BRYANT and MATT CAMP
Cover by RAGS MORALES
Variant cover by GREG CAPULLO
1:200 B&W Variant cover by RAGS MORALES
On sale DECEMBER 7 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T
Is your mind prepared for an encounter with the deadly Terminauts? What awful master do they serve? What horrible fate awaits Superman and the city of Metropolis? The true scope of Grant Morrison and Rags Morales’ ACTION COMICS run begins to come into view, so get those sunglasses ready, ‘cause it is gonna be blinding!
And in a backup story from writer Joshua Hale Fialkov and artist Matt Camp that spins out of ACTION COMICS #2, John Henry Irons takes his first steps toward becoming the hero known as Steel!
Jim: I’m enjoying the update retro feel to this current version of Superman. How this past will tie into today’s Superman is still an open question. No matter what I have learned to sometimes just enjoy a book for what it is and not try and worry about the larger continuity. I think the big two have pretty much abandoned any tight cohesiveness of their universes. 
Lee: I know you love this but I really, really didn't like Morrison's Batman.  Then again, I loved All Star Superman which I get the impression this is closer too.  I've held off but I'm thinking I will get all 4 issues and floppie trade this when it hits the shelves.

BATMAN #4
Written by SCOTT SNYDER
Art by GREG CAPULLO and JONATHAN GLAPION
Cover by MIKE CHOI
Variant cover by ANDY KUBERT
1:200 B&W variant cover by GREG CAPULLO
On sale DECEMBER 21 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
Shocking discoveries lead Batman deeper into the mystery of the Court of Owls and its secret and bloody ties to both Gotham City and the Wayne family. But an even deadlier threat awaits Batman: a trap set hundreds of years ago, far beneath his city. The war for Gotham’s soul begins here!
Jim: Talent will succeed and Scott Snyder is DC’s top writer right now. I have only read one issue of Batman and the story hit the ground running as well as setting the stage for the book going forward. It is a story filled with great characterization, cool gadgets, gruesome murder and a mystery that will push the world’s greatest detective. Batman could not be in better hands.
Lee:  Wow.  You could leave me something to say... or not.  I agree with Jim.

BATMAN INCORPORATED: LEVIATHAN STRIKES #1
Written by GRANT MORRISON
Art by CHRIS BURNHAM and CAMERON STEWART
Cover by CHRIS BURNHAM
One-Shot • On sale DECEMBER 21 • 80 pg, FC, $6.99 US • RATED T
In this sensational, giant-sized one-shot spinning out of BATMAN INCORPORATED, Batman realizes to his horror that he’s been outwitted as the true identity of Leviathan continues to elude him. Is his deadly adversary an old foe with a grudge to settle, a new face of evil…or something completely different? Only one thing is certain: You won’t soon forget the shocking ending!
Jim: The whole Batman Inc. thing which I was enjoying seems to not fit within the new DCU as Bruce Wayne is coming across a lot younger. I’m very curious to see how Grant pulls this off or if he just ignores the new DCU.
Lee:  This is an easy skip for me.  I really just want the DCnU right now.  I am not interested in the older universe.

BATGIRL #4
Written by GAIL SIMONE
Art by ARDIAN SYAF and VICENTE CIFUENTES
Cover by ADAM HUGHES
On sale DECEMBER 14 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
Batgirl’s secret past finally catches up to her as she races to a final confrontation with the deadly sociopath Mirror! All the answers start right here in this thrilling issue!
Jim: More Bat stuff. Gail Simone confuses me, she is often a top writer and then she tried Wonder Woman and missed. I thought this book was a “can’t miss”, but the first two issues have left me a little cold. The book is not working for me, but I love Babs and Gail has earned the right to have a few issues to adjust to this new status quo for Barbara Gordon.
Lee:  Simone might be one of those rare writers that needs a larger cast to work with.  All her team books have been outstanding.  
Part 2 late this week…………………..

No comments:

Post a Comment