Saturday, March 30, 2013

A Victorious Smile

Hi, everyone.  I'm on Spring Break this weekend, spending time back home in Virginia to celebrate Easter with my family.  So, I have a special Easter-themed message today.  It's the kind that doesn't involve bunny rabbits or chocolate, so if that sounds offensive to you, then please read no further.  I plan to talk about comics next week.



Now, Easter Sunday isn't until tomorrow, but that's okay, because the picture my 4.5 year old son, Matthew Jr. (aka "Manny") drew is perfect for commemorating TODAY, the transition time after Good Friday.


Now, I know at first glance this looks remarkably similar to a Teletubbie Bye-Bye hole, which is funny because I don't think he's seen that show since our summer vacation in Kansas (I do believe he may have a photographic memory though).  I drew tons of Bye-Bye holes with Laa-Laa holding a balloon and an ice cream cone for my oldest daughter, Charlotte (now 16), which was the beginning of her artistic endeavors.

Back to the picture.  The empty three crosses sit atop the tall-grass covered hill of Calvary.  Beneath them lies the tomb, which isn't empty...yet.  Jesus is lying there already clothed in his sparkling whites, just stretching his legs with a HUGE smile on his face.  It reminds me of some verses from a song that was sung by Dallas Holm and Praise:


Go ahead, drive the nails in My hands;

Laugh at me... where you stand.
Go ahead, and say it isn't Me;
The day will come... when you will see.



(Refrain)
'Cause I'll rise.... again;
Ain't no power on earth can keep Me down!
Yes, I'll rise... again;
Death can't keep Me in the ground.



Go ahead, mock My name;
My love for you is still the same.
Go ahead, and bury Me;
But very soon, I will be free!



Manny didn't stop there.  He also drew on the back:



Uhmmm...We had to ask him to explain it to us.

He said it was Heaven and those were all the rooms that Jesus had prepared for us. Simply Beautiful and theologically rock solid!  It reminds me of the new ApologetiX song off their Hot Potato Soup album with Lyrics by J. Jackson:


Cemetery Came Alive
Parody of "Semi-Charmed Life" performed by Third Eye Blind and written by Stephan Jenkins
(Matthew 27:51-53)

He's back and I'm hopin' you'll find Him
He's livin', He's comin', He lives for me
Says that we should teach the nations about His salvation
Jesus died and He rose – I believe
And it makes me smile, hope it does for you
To 27 Matthew come and we'll review
Jesus died and then the earth moved
Temple curtain was ripped and then divided in two
When it seemed as though things were gonna get worse
Brothers came alive that belonged in a hearse
There's a lot of people in their graves
Who came out and they was raised, I said

That was something else 
When every Jewish cemetery came alive, baby, baby
That was something else
And now Christians ain't afraid ... to die
Do, do, do, do, do, do, do, do

He died and rose -- listen folks 
You should take a tip from a dude who knows
And I wish I could get back there someplace after
Violently the earth began to shake
Soon the curse of death was lifted off us in its wake
It broke rocks
The folks in town where in shock
When the stiffs that had risen went out for a walk
'Cause when they jumped up
They took a trip around the city
And went up to men and then went up to Heaven and
Now we'll all go back there too
The place with all those who sleep in Christ who
**The place where all those who sleep in Christ who
**The saints who all fell asleep in Christ who
Followed our Savior up unto
The place where He went
CHORUS

I believe that the man named Jesus rose
I preach 'cause it's real and not just a feeling
I believe and my faith it grows
And before I close, you may be bright
But when it's the truth, it's real
And I could die and I would be all right, all right
And when complaints come in from anyone nasty
Who tell us that it's just an idiot myth 
On the verge of being a lie
Now I shrug 'cause truth survives
Though they choose to carry out jealous threats
Scornin' Jesus and bustin' heads
That little-read passage in Matthew says
That up around the bend we'll break out of our caskets
Sprung -- not as zombies or as ghost men
But as something that's more than human forevermore
If I get buried underground
Not scared -- I'm not stayin' down – oh, no
My Lord's runnin' my life
He's got my tombstone knocked down with a smile
And I will be all right, all right
That was something else 
When He gave you His life, baby
That was something else
And now Christians ain't afraid ... to die
To die, to die, to die!

He died and rose -- listen folks 
You should take a tip from a dude who knows
In the twenty-seventh chapter
The Gospel of Matthew
Is the place where you should start


See, the smile theme persists and I hope you (if you were curious enough to read this whole post) have a reason to celebrate tomorrow as well.

Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment