Wednesday, December 27, 2006

The Legion of Super Heroes - Best Group Ever

I have recently been immersed in the Legion of Super Heroes. From the Archives to a long run of the series and reading the new series I have come to realize that this is the best super hero group ever. The recent addition of Supergirl to the current version of the Legion has just made this version even better. Over the years no other group book has created more characters that I have grown to love and enjoy.

Also no group has created more characters whose actual names I know. When I read the books I know Garth and Ayla are Lighting Lad and Light Lass or Live Wire and Gossamer or whatever name they are using. I could (sadly) probably name almost ever member by name.

This group now has a 40 plus year history and except for an occasional mini-series or having two legion books on the stands, you essentially only follow the group via their own book. Many other super hero teams a character or most of the characters have their own books. Or the team members have so radically changed, you no longer have anything vested in the characters.

Hell, even though we have had two resets since the five year gap from Levitz run to Giffen's run as writer - I still would love to see the story about the five year gap done as a mini-series.

Still I cannot thing of another group that has so much history that has been this good for this many years. The down periods have been less then the up times.

Long Live the Legion!

8 comments:

  1. I've tried several times but could never get into the Legion. The names of the characters are just too silly to take any of them seriously. Reminds me of Superfriends. And I could never shake the feeling that this book is for little kiddies. Oh well. To each his own I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff - I can understand that, but it is a book, that once you are absorbed into it, you fall in love with it. I started reading it when I was very young, so the names didn't feel silly.

    What is your favorite all time group?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It occurred to me that I've never actually read a Legion book. It's probably one of the few in the Marvel or DC worlds that I haven't ever read. Given your effusive praise, I may give it a try some time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thomm, just to let you know, I responded to your last comment in Jim's death penalty post. Sorry I couldn't get to it sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jim, thanks for stopping by my blog to say Merry Christmas - I hope your holidays have been good so far (and continue to be so!). =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Legion is not my personal favorite but there is certainly an arguement to be made about them being... good.

    They have the Ripkin award for longevity. That's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Arielle, thanks. I've put in a response, but we're in "old post" territory now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've liked the relaunches but it seems they always get to a point where they need to be redone. I haven't been able to get into Waid's run because it was yet another relaunch and it's hard to start over once a decade or more.

    I love the group though.

    They're awesome.

    -SJD

    ReplyDelete