Thursday, October 09, 2008

DC Preview Review for December

Jim: Lately the big two have started to be less impressive. I don’t know if it is event burn out or just a malaise that occasionally hits me with comics. I know Marvel has killed a lot of my love for some characters, but DC has been doing it with their horrid re-launches of many books most recently the Titans. Still let’s see what this month brings.
Gwen: I hardly enjoy Marvel at all anymore and DC also leaves me a bit disillusioned these days. Vertigo still has my love though.
Lee: I read so few DC books these days that it’s all about the reprints. Bring back the Silverage!!!


FINAL CRISIS: SECRET FILES #1
Written by Grant Morrison & Peter J. Tomasi
Art by Frank Quitely & various
Covers by Frank Quitely and Jim Lee & Scott Williams
Finally, the secrets of this year's most talked about event can be revealed! Witness how Darkseid's death shattered the Multiverse, creating continuity ripples throughout the DC Universe! Submit to Darkseid and read the full Anti-Life Equation! This is a book you cannot resist to buy!
On sale December 24 * 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US

Jim: Read the full Anti-Life Equation, LOL. That just sounds so stupid. As a comic book concept it is ok, as a real equation dumb.
Gwen: Um, why? Personally I think the election has been one of the most talked about events this year, but maybe that's just me...
Lee: Since I’m not following this, I have to wonder if there’s really any interest. It seems like the Marvel hype machine has overpowered DC’s. I wonder if Final Crisis is suffering at all because of it.

VIGILANTE #1
Written by Marv Wolfman
Art by Rick Leonardi
Cover by Walter Simonson
In New York City, crime is on the rise, and terror fills the streets. Gang warfare is escalating, and metahumans are being drafted into battle. Through the corruption and lawlessness, one man emerges to right the wrongs as only he can. So when a Super Hero conspiracy plot is brought to light, the Vigilante returns to find the traitor and mete out his own brand of justice - with extreme prejudice! Join us as writer Marv Wolfman (NEW TEEN TITANS, CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS) continues the street-level adventures of the mysterious new crime fighter he introduced in the pages of NIGHTWING.
On sale December 24 * 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

Jim: After reading Wolfman on Nightwing I think the industry has past him by. I respect all his contributions to comics, but Nightwing did not read as well as most comics today. I don’t think Marv’s style works anymore.
Gwen: I'd still be interested to see what he does with this book as I do appreciate his efforts in rebuilding Nightwing. It's mostly his pacing that is off.
Lee: I still don’t understand the appeal of the character. He/She is very much a product of the 80’s. Wolfman’s style doesn’t seem to quite fit with the current readers and Leonardi, while outstanding, certainly isn’t the draw he once was either.

DETECTIVE COMICS #851
Written by Dennis O'Neil
Art by Guillem March
Cover by Guillem March
Variant cover by Tony Daniel
Note: This is the Batman Cover.
"Last Days of Gotham" part 1 of 2! Longtime BATMAN writer and editor Dennis O'Neil returns to The Dark Knight for this special two-part tale. Joined by artistic rising star Guillem March (JOKER'S ASYLUM: POISON IVY), O'Neil's "Last Days of Gotham" dives into the soul of a city that has lost its most famous citizen, its favorite son, its beloved protector. How will Gotham City react in the wake of the horrible tragedy that has befallen The Caped Crusader?
On sale December 3 * 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

Jim: I’m curious to see how Denny holds up years later as he was responsible for making Batman into what he still is today. Also this shows that Grant has taken Bruce Wayne off the board for what maybe for some time to come. After Denny handles Detective and Batman in December, Neil Gaiman does a two part story in January.
Gwen: Good writer line up. I'm really looking forward to the Neil Gaiman story! ooo shiny!
Lee: Whee fun. Lots of fill in issues. This can go either way. I just hope it’s good.

THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD #20
Written by David Hine
Art and cover by Doug Braithwaite & Bill Reinhold
Green Lantern and Phantom Stranger are summoned to a dangerous new world! Beautiful and otherworldly, this planet looks like nothing you've seen before. But its civilization hides a secret strange enough to overpower the Stranger!
On sale December 17 * 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

Jim: David Hine is a good writer and his Marvel work on “Son of M” and “Silent War” was great. I’m looking forward to his DC work. Someone needs to give this guy a book or two and leave him alone to just run with it.
Gwen: I love the Phantom Stranger so this is an easy 'sell' for me.
Lee: I’ve liked most of what Hine has done so far. I’m glad to see B&B is keeping good talent on the book. Although, Braithwaite’s art irritates me I’ll still on board for now.

GREEN ARROW/BLACK CANARY #15
Written by Andrew Kreisberg
Art by Mike Norton & John Floyd
Cover by Ladroenn
New series writer Andrew Kreisberg (JLA CLASSIFIED, Simpsons) introduces a new era for Green Arrow and Black Canary! As Connor and Speedy head off on their own and leave the married vigilantes truly alone together for the first time, a new villain gives Ollie cause to reflect on just how much his life has changed!
On sale December 10 * 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

Jim: I had soured on Winick’s run on this book; let’s see what the new guy can do.
Gwen: This book had such a nice start off an then just kept dragging out the plot. I'll look forward to a new take on this duo.
Lee: This book is still around? I haven’t read (or been interested in) GA for years.

WATCHMEN INTERNATIONAL EDITION TP
Written by Alan Moore
Art and cover by Dave Gibbons
DC Comics presents this special edition of the WATCHMEN TP, complete with recolored cover art by artist extraordinaire Dave Gibbons. Created especially for the international market, this edition is also available to retailers in the U.S. and Canada exclusively through Diamond.
One of the most influential graphic novels of all time and a perennial bestseller, WATCHMEN has only grown in stature since its original publication. Along with the new cover, this volume features the high-quality, recolored pages from WATCHMEN: THE ABSOLUTE EDITION, restored by WildStorm FX and original series colorist John Higgins.
On sale December 3 * 334 pg, FC, $19.99 US

Jim: Not sure why we need an International Edition, but I do know the sales on this book are at 1,000,000 and climbing, hopefully Moore and Gibbons are both millionaires by now due to this.
Gwen: I can't find my copy of Watchmen anywhere - I think I've lent it out too much and can't remember who I lent it to last =/ Which sucks because my boyfriend really wanted to read it before the movie comes out so now I'll have to go get a new copy.
Lee: I agree. Why do we need an International Ed? This seems like overkill.

DC COMICS CLASSICS LIBRARY: THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES - THE LIFE AND DEATH OF FERRO LAD HC
Written by Jim Shooter
Art by Curt Swan, Sheldon Moldoff & George Klein
Cover by Curt Swan & George Klein
Collecting ADVENTURE COMICS #346, 347, 352, 353 and 357! The Legion battles both the Fatal Five and the Sun Eater - and only the ultimate sacrifice can save Ferro Lad's friends!
Advance-solicited; on sale February 18 * 128 pg, FC , $39.99 US

Jim: Bad idea. This is for Legion fans and this material is in the Archives editions, not sure this is a great seller for DC.
Gwen: I already have this story memorized. Great story - already been republished.
Lee: I am sooooo passing on this. Silverage DC is painful to read and the Legion doesn’t interest me enough to make the investment. Not to mention $40 for five issues seems awfully steep.

SHOWCASE PRESENTS: THE HOUSE OF MYSTERY VOL. 3 TP
Written by Jack Oleck, Steve Skeates, Sheldon Mayer, Michael Fleisher and others
Cover by Bernie Wrightson
Art by Alex Nino, Ruben Yandoc, Nestor Redondo,
Gerry Talaoc and others
DC Comics serves up another helping of horror in this amazing collection featuring tales from HOUSE OF MYSTERY #212-226! It's classic, bone-chilling intensity from the DC vaults!
Advance-solicited; on sale January 28 * 520 pg, B&W, $16.99 US

Jim: I’m passing on this one. I really have to, I have way too much to read of this material and once I read the first two volumes I can get this later.
Gwen: I never read the old House of Mystery stuff, I'll have to check it out one day.
Lee: I am all over this. I think these are the best showcases ever. There are so many different stories and different artists that I can’t wait for this to get here. But, mostly I can’t wait to see the art because it is so good.


THE STARMAN OMNIBUS VOL. 2 HC
Written by James Robinson
Art by Tony Harris, John Watkiss, Guy Davis, J.H. Williams III, Chris Sprouse, Craig Hamilton, and others
Cover by Tony Harris
In this second volume, Jack Knight's disturbing dreams drive him to New York City to meet the Golden Age Sandman! Collecting STARMAN #17-29, STARMAN ANNUAL #1 and stories from SHOWCASE '95 #12 and SHOWCASE '96 #4-5.
Advance-solicited; on sale February 25 * 416 pg, FC, $49.99 US

Jim: Glad to see how complete DC is being in this reprint series but including the ancillary material.
Gwen: I'm just happy I inherited the trades!
Lee: It’s nice to have this many issues in one place but I really wish it were done in smaller chunks. If only so my bookshelf doesn’t collapse.

SUPERGIRL: COSMIC ADVENTURES IN THE EIGHTH GRADE #1
Written by Landry Walker
Art and cover by Eric Jones
Meet Linda Lee! She's the newest kid on the block - and the planet, too! Find out how an ordinary girl from Krypton became the most extraordinary girl on Earth in the pages of this brand new monthly series. And if you think life is tough as a hero, try being in the eighth grade.
On sale December 3 * 32 pg, FC, $2.50 US

Jim: I’m not getting this, but this looks to be a great younger reader book that focuses on girls. Nice to see.
Gwen: Cute, nice to see a new kids book from DC.
Lee: Yep. I am all over this for my daughters. Although she looks strange, I’m all for girl comics.

WINTERMEN WINTER SPECIAL #1
Written by Brett Lewis
Art and cover by John Paul Leon
Brett Lewis and John Paul Leon's carefully crafted, acclaimed epic reaches its oversized conclusion! Combining the Super Hero genre with a sociopolitical thrill ride, this finale will leave readers breathless! Who lives? Who dies? And what will befall the Wintermen?
On sale December 31 * 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US * MATURE READERS

Jim: Geez, I stopped this series a long time ago. Who knew it never finished? At least for the fans that stayed with it they will get an ending.
Gwen: I have no idea what this is.
Lee: I wonder if it was any good. Can any reader give it thumbs up or down because I can’t find anything about the conclusion of the series.

HAUNTED TANK #1
Written by Frank Marraffino
Art by Henry Flint
The Haunted Tank is back in action, but this time it's an M1 Abrams in modern-day Iraq! African American tank commander Jamal Stuart has his 21st century war ride in full battle rattle and is ready for anything - anything except the whistling-Dixie combat guru ghost who shows up uninvited!
Of course, this isn't the first time the spirit of Confederate Civil War General J.E.B. Stuart has helped guide a tank. In times of war he makes himself available to assist his descendants in battle. Jamal Stuart, meet your forefather! It's the newest chapter in the legacy of a long-time DC icon from writer Frank Marraffino (The Dark Goodbye) and artist Henry Flint (OMEGA MEN).
On sale December 3 * 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US * MATURE READERS

Jim: This could be interesting. A very odd WWII series gets revived and updated. How will Jamal (a black man) except a Confederate General ghost who is his relative?
Gwen: Not really my cup of tea.
Lee: I like it but I love Flints art. I’ve liked his stuff since he drew Grimjack waaayyy back in the day. But, that’s enough to sell me on the book.

TOKYO DAYS, BANGKOK NIGHTS TP
Written by Jonathan Vankin
Art by Seth Fisher and Giuseppe Camuncoli & Shawn Martinbrough
Cover by Seth Fisher and Giuseppe Camuncoli
Two tragicomic tales of cultures in collision. When Americans venture abroad, they find that their assumptions about everyday life don't fit in a backpack. Collecting eight issues of the critically heralded VERTIGO POP!, written by Jonathan Vankin and featuring Eisner-nominated art by Seth Fisher (GREEN LANTERN: WILLWORLD) as well as Giuseppe Camuncoli and Shawn Martinbrough (BANGKOK), TOKYO DAYS, BANGKOK NIGHTS presents a journey to the far side of the world where Americans learn that they may be neither ugly nor innocent, but they still have everything to lose.
Advance-solicited; on sale January 21 * 192 pg, FC, $19.99 US * MATURE READERS

Jim: This was Lee’s pick, but one thing I have to say is the three artist bring extreme differences in style.
Gwen: Eh, I can't say this really grabs me, but the art looks interesting.
Lee: Both books were well received and I love Fisher’s art. And, because his art is so rare I will get anything that has him attached to it. These are good stories with beautiful art. What’s not to like.

SAGA OF THE SWAMP THING BOOK ONE HC
Written by Alan Moore
Art by Stephen Bissette, Dan Day and John Totleben
Cover by Stephen Bissett and John Totleben
Writer Alan Moore's seminal horror series is now published in hardcover for the very first time -- including the never-before-reprinted SAGA OF THE SWAMP THING #20, in which Moore wraps up the previous storyline and sets the stage for the groundbreaking tales that were to come. Collecting SAGA OF THE SWAMP THING #20-27, this first volume features the stories that put Moore on the comics map in the 1980s thanks to his unique narrative style and deconstructive storytelling. Created by a freak accident, Swamp Thing believed he was once scientist Alec Holland -- but when he discoveres his true nature, it shatters his universe and sends him on a path of discovery and adventure.
Featuring the art of Stephen Bissette and John Totleben, this groundbreaking work features mind-blowing, genre-defying stories starring the rich, complex character that Neil Gaiman called "The No. 1 New Classic Monster" in Entertainment Weekly.
Advance solicited; on sale February 11 * 208 pg, FC $24.99 US * MATURE READERS

Jim: It’s about damn time. This series was the beginning of a lot of differences and certainly the one that got everyone to know who Alan Moore is.
Gwen: Wow, this hasn't been published in hardcover before? What took them so long?
Lee: Ditto.

BATMAN MINI NEON SIGN
Decorate your home or store with this exciting, affordable neon sign featuring Batman's classic bat emblem!
The adjustable base unit can sit on a tabletop or be mounted to a wall.
Powered by a plug-in, UL-adapter, the sign itself measures approximately 12" high x 7" wide and has a base measuring approximately 5.5" in diameter. Packaged in a 4-color box.
Advance-solicited; on sale May 20, 2009 * Neon Sign * $89.99 US

Jim: Really – because there was a demand for this?
Gwen: Totally, I was mailing in request to DC almost every day! Seriously though - this is way over priced, we have neons that we sell at work that size for about $30-$40.
Lee: It will like nice next to my neon Budwiser sign.


Jim: Sadly the hardcover collections are the highlight for me this month. Is December the cruelest month?
Gwen: Nothing all that terribly exciting except maybe the Detective Comics stuff - I'll have to wait and see.
Lee: Finally, Moore Swamp Thing in HC. I can’t wait to get it.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that the big two are sad, pathetic versions of themselves. Gwen's got it right. Vertigo forever.

    Lee: The Silver Age needs to die. DC won't let it.

    WINTERMEN was a fantastic series that got screwed up somewhere along the line. Story was still good but it got extremely delayed. Here's hoping they trade it all together because it really was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shawn-

    I agree... the DC silverage is dead

    LONG LIVE MARVEL SILVERAGE!!!!

    ReplyDelete