Monday, May 10, 2010

What I’m Getting Wednesday May 12

Well this week will have to be a little short on the chatter in order to actual just list out the books. As I have stated I was out of town in Florida and very busy seeing my daughters and in-laws, all good things. Gwen’s graduation was the ostensible reason for the trip and ended up being the unexpected highlight when a large contingent of sorority girls decided to flash the audience. Since the giant screen TV were focused on the stage we all got to see an excellent show and it certainly kept me riveted for the rest of the ceremonies.

We will start with the other category which included BPRD King of Fear #5 (of 5), Hellboy in Mexico (out last week, but I missed it), Bram Stokers Death Ship #1, Light #2 (of 5), Sword #24 (of 24) and Farscape Scorpius #1. BPRD is a culmination of a story that has being going on for a very long time and Sword is the end of the Luna Brothers epic tale. All in all this is a good start for this week.

Marvel is big this week with Black Widow #2, Daredevil Cage Match #1, Dark Avengers #16, Prince of Power #1 (of 4), Fallen Siege, Iron Man Noir #2 (of 4), Marvel Projects # 8 (of 8), New Avengers Finale, New Avengers Luke Cage #2 (of 3), New Mutants #13 (Second Coming Chapter 7), PunisherMax #7 and Siege #4 (of 4). Funny how weeks create their own themes and for Marvel it is the end of the Siege which has a bunch of series ending as new series are being launched to replace them. In the midst of all the Siege mania, don’t miss Iron Man Noir #2 by Scott Snyder and Manuel Garcia the first issue was a great surprise and an excellent start to what appears to be a very good story.

Last and far from least is DC Entertainment and DC is about beginnings this month, not endings. The list begins with Adventure Comics #11 and then Batgirl #10, Batman #699, Batman Return of Bruce Wayne # (of 6), Birds of Prey #1, Booster Gold #32, Daytripper #6 (of 10), DMZ #53, Doc Savage #2, First Wave #2 (of 6), Flash #2, Justice League Generation Lost #1, Question Trade Volume 6, Fables #95, Rebels #16, The Shield #9, Superman War of Supermen #2 (of 4) and Titans Villains for Hire Special #1. That is one heck of an impressive line up from DC and I could go on and on about the books I’m excited about, but seeing Birds of Prey back just makes me smile. Gail Simone was brilliant on this book before and I’m sure a cross over with the Secret Six will occur sometime down the road.

A mini break from collected editions and such, I’m sure I will be crushed next week and we will be back to our normal posting pattern.

11 comments:

  1. what graduation ceremony were you watching - it certainty wasn't the same one I attended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must have missed it or I have an active imagination. It is one or the other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gwen, Gwen, Gwen. It was your graduation. I remember what graduation was like and I'm sure it hasn't changed. You probably weren't even sober enough to remember half of what was going on. And that certainly explains the actions of the sorority girls.

    My vote: Gwen missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If any of my graduation speakers were any guide, not to mention the likelihood of lubrication of an alcoholic nature, Gwen was probably sound asleep for the entire graduation.

    On the other hand, Jim could have been flashing back to the night before at the strip club, probably confused by the sorority girls paying off their student loans with jobs at the club. His dementia is well developed as we all know.

    There is, of course, the third possibility that it was just a bunch of fat guys up there on the stage and Jim's gone nearly blind, big screen TV or no. Too many years squinting at comic books and accounting ledgers.

    My vote: Dementia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thomm-

    I'm not sure your graduation is a fair comparison. Was the speaker Calvin Coolidge AND wasn't it during prohibition?????

    I'm still voting: Gwen missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thomm - I ain't that old and I still know a good rack when I see it. Besides Lee and I discussed this in depth and decided this should be true regardless of any false reality.

    My Vote : Fantasy Wins - We are comics book fans after all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really wish I had been drunk or asleep during the ceremony. Sadly Jim didn't listen to his wife's suggestion that we stop for a shot of tequila on the way. And the chairs were much too uncomfortable to sleep in =/ I know, I tried.

    I'm pretty sure Jim was just hallucinating as he wasn't able to distract himself with i-phone games (he lent his phone to André after introducing him to the Angry Birds game).

    ReplyDelete
  8. FANTASY????

    That's just defeatist talk. Hell, if America had spoken like that when the Germans invaded Pearl Harbor we'd all be speaking spanish by now!

    It's a fact if you believe it dammit! Hell, I know whole political parties built on similar type facts!

    Fantasy.. pfft.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish Calvin Coolidge had been my speaker. It would have been really short, sole of brevity that he was. Instead, I had Kenneth Duberstein, Reagan administration flack. Drunk would have been an improvement.

    I still vote dementia.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dean Wormer would have been better still.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Guys, its a college in Florida. Of course it happened. Through Tim Tebow, ALL things are possible.

    My vote: Gwen missed it.

    ReplyDelete