Monday, May 17, 2010

What I’m Getting Wednesday May 19

There is a certainly level of comfort in routines and it is nice to know that you can always depend on some things. So last week was a minor break from that routine, but this week we are back to normal. I like changing things up on occasion, but I recognize that knowing something is going to be there all the time is a good thing also, so my normal Monday post will continue and I will struggle to find different ways to do this column.

Let’s start with a book by someone who is fast becoming a favorite writer of mine, American Vampire #3. Scott Snyder, with Stephen King doing the backup story, is bringing us a new breed of Vampire. Scott told me in an interview that he goes through multiple drafts of a script to make sure it is right and it shows in every issue. His work is nothing short of astonishing for such a new comic writer. The words and pictures are a seamless marriage and the pacing has been spot on. Hey three months ago is you told me Scott Snyder and Rafael Albuquerque would be the writer / artist team on a favorite series of mine and it would be about Vampires I would ask you to refrain from dropping acid, but it is true. This is a literate comic that is worth your time to seek out and read. The solicitation copy reads “The era of the American vampire officially begins as Pearl Jones declares war on the powerful coven of vampires that ended her life, and Skinner Sweet declares war on, well, everyone! Scores will be settled in blood in this installment.”

Next up on my list of I can’t wait to read it is Legion of Super Heroes #1. Paul Levitz is returning to the writer’s chair for the series that he defined and that defined him as a writer. I worry that this is one step removed from a “forever” title like Marvel is doing, but it is a different Legion as redefined by Geoff Johns during the Legion of Three Worlds series. Plus I have listened to an interview with Paul Levitz and he sound like he is going forward with what he has and is not going to live in the past. No matter what this is the one series that I have always been a total fan of and I will give this series a lot of rope to find its footing. The hype from DC “Fan-favorite LEGION writer Paul Levitz returns to the 31st century super team he made supreme with an all-new intergalactic era! This exciting series picks up on threads from Geoff Johns's "Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes" storyline and creates its own all-new ones, including a Green Lantern Corps tie-in and the destruction of a major planet! Rocket on board here as Levitz and rising star artist Yildiray Cinar (TEEN TITANS) revitalize one of DC's most beloved franchises starting with an oversized first issue.”

Vertigo has a good week in addition to AV with The Executor OGN, Hellblazer #267 and Joe The Barbarian #5 (of 8). Add to that mix DV8 Gods and Monsters #2 (of 8) from Wildstorm and you a very solid week of books. DV8 almost has a Vertigo feel to it even though it is about characters with super powers. I was iffy on this series at the start of issue #1, but sold by the end of the book, so I’m curious to see what issue #2 will be.

The rest of the books from DC are The Atomic Knights HC Collection, Azrael #8, Batman Streets of Gotham #12, Brightest Day #2, DC Universe Legacies #1 (of 10), Justice League of America #45, Spirit #2, Superman Batman #72, Superman War of Supermen #3 (of 4) and Zatanna #1. Of all of these Zatanna is the one I have my eye on the most and not just due to fishnet stocking and tuxedo styled bustier, although that doesn’t hurt. I just have always like this character and hope that Paul Dini can make this a winning series. Since Dini’s wife is a real life Zatanna I’m guessing he will be putting his best effort into this book.

Marvel is a light week for me with just Atlas #1, Avengers #1, X-Factor #205 and X-Men Legacy #236 Chapter Eight of Second Coming. I’m leery of the Avengers as I’m tired of Bendis’ horrible dialogue on group books, but it is the spine of the MU so I find it hard to abandon the main Avengers book. The book I’m looking forward to the most is Atlas by writer Jeff Parker. Even without their own book Marvel made a commitment to this group with the mini-series and back-up series making sure the group got a lot of spotlight before putting them back into their own book. I just hope it garnered enough fans to make it a sure fire hit.

The everything else category has a wonderful array of books with Astounding Wolf Man #23, Jersey Gods #12, Walking Dead #72, Creepy Comics #3, The Ghoul HC, Kill Shakespeare #2, Atomic Robo Revenge of the Vampire Dimension #3 (of 4), Devil #4 (of 4), Farscape #7 and Battlefields #6 (of 9). You have in this mix horror, supernatural, monsters, historical fiction, manga influence, super heroes, robots and war stories. For the price, nowhere but comic books gives you that much of a range of material.

Looks to be another glorious week as May continues to roll out new #1s like they are being manufactured by kids making tennis shoes in Malaysia.

No comments:

Post a Comment