Friday, November 07, 2008

A Fistful of Reviews: Belated

I am grateful that the election in finally over. While I was going to be disappointed no matter who won (I took a page out of Jim's book and voted wrote in for the person I had actually wanted as President) I am just happy that I won't be finding more Obama propaganda stuck to my door and placed on my car and I won't be receiving multiple recorded messages from people telling me how to vote. I am, however, saddened that my state (FL) passed a constitutional amendment making marriage between a man and a woman. While I am aware of the financial concerns behind gay marriage I feel that financial concerns were not the reason for this amendment passing. I also feel that the less we add to legislation the better. Oh well. On to comic books.





Samurai: Legend #2 (Marvel)


I really enjoyed the 1st issue and I liked this issue as well. I can't help but develop a fondness for this samurai who has taken on a quest to protect this young girl despite the amount of people chasing after her. I also was entertained by the new character introduced to the samurai's strange group. We also got to find out a little bit more about the young girl's guardian who has an agenda of her own. On top of all the story goodness the art is very nicely done.




Superman: New Krypton (DC)


Well doesn't this just open a whole new can of worms. I kind of wished that (for some reason or another) the people of Kandor hadn't developed powers. I think the story here could be more interesting in that regards but as it is it's like watching a train wreak. I am happy that Johns seems to be fixing Kara's origins. It makes for a much more pleasant character (not to mention less confusing). I am greatly saddened by Pa's death even if it was very well written. I am amazed that Superman and Batman have been so advanced with what seem to be permanent changes but will withhold my opinions until I see if these changes are for the better.





Invincible # 54 (Image)


This was an okay issue. I am disturbed by the glance into Mark's future (as is Mark) and am not sure if I'll enjoy where the series is heading as Mark seems to be slowly falling away from being a hero in the traditional sense of the word. I am glad that Mark and Eve seem to be working things out as Eve has always been one of my favorite supporting characters but I have to wonder how long it will actually last.




Fear Agent #24 (Dark Horse)


This is always a good book. While serious in theme the dialog allows for humor. I'm glad to see Char and Heath trying to work things out and I absolutely love the character of their daughter. Of course I'm not sure what's going on with the Heath clone guy... perhaps this is something I missed from a previous issue? I suppose I'll find out next issue.





Trinity #21 (DC)


I haven't written about this book recently because I've grown a bit bored with the story. While I know this comes out once a week I still feel there's not much story in one issue and it makes it somewhat frustrating to read. Either way I think I'll appreciate this story more once it's over. The one good thing out of this so far is the character of Tarot - and the fact I've come to like Gangbuster who I never cared for before.




Echo #7 (Abstract Studio)


Yet again, another great issue of what has to be one of my favorite comic books this year. It seems that Annie is becoming more of an influence on Julie. I am wondering when Julie and the creepy old guy with part of the suit will meet up. I really like Dillon and appreciate that he didn't turn Julie in as they both search for answers.





Final Crisis #4 (DC)


I continue to be unimpressed with Final Crisis. I also continue to be confused by how it fits into the DC Universe as a whole - if it does at all. Oh well. I did appreciate the interchange between Wally and Barry and I really like how just Barry kissing her brought Iris back to herself. It was very sweet and it proves that the anti-life equation can be fought and conquered.




Angel: Season One


I recently picked the first season up of this TV series because it was on clearance at the store. While I never liked Buffy very much I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I actually enjoy Angel. The whole supernatural detective thing works fairly well and the supporting cast is excellent. What I thought was going to be another poorly done vampire show turned out to be a lot of fun to watch with good acting and well executed stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment