Saturday, November 29, 2008

A Fistful of Reviews: Belated


Detective Comics #850 (DC)


I've been very happy with Paul Dini's work on Detective Comics and this storyline was especially well done. Dini made Hush into a fully fleshed out character and into a truely great Batman villain. As an added bonus I've also really enjoyed the artwork. I loved the ending with Selina stealing all of Hush's money, that was brilliant.




The Dreamer #1 (IDW)


I'm pretty sure Jim canceled this book and I can't really argue against that. It struck me as a somewhat 14 year old girl comic with little appeal outside that audience. It was a shaky story at best with okay art, but obviously still in progress. I did like the coloring - very basic but vivid and inviting. Of course despite all my hesitations I remember being a 14 year old girl and thus found a certain amount of appeal in the story. I'm admittedly curious to see where the story goes and may need to see if my local store gets it. The other one shot out the same week from IDW, Sir Apropos, was somewhat tedious though.




Action Comics #871 (DC)


Yay, Flamebird and Nightwing. *sigh* I could care less about those characters but overall this Superman story has been interesting. My major hope is that all this serves to make Supergirl into the character she should be.






Fables #78 (Vertigo)


Ooo, it'll be interesting to see what happens with Baba Yaga now that she's free. Of course I felt awful for Boy Blue after this issue - poor kid.




I Kill Giants #5 (Image)


Wow, a giant! I've been hoping all this time that they were real :) I really can't wait until the next issue of this book - what a fantastic story so far. I especially loved the scene this issue with Barbra hanging out in the gaming store, that was excellent.




Neozoic #7 (Red 5 Comics)


I didn't realize that we're almost at the end of this series (at least this run). This book has been non-stop fun and I am excited to see the conclusion. With Lilli being ostracized and members of the PDL turned against her I have to wonder how things can possibly be set right. I hope Red 5 plans on publishing a graphic novel of this run. Great story, pencils and colors!




Nightwing #50 (DC)


Nightwing should be Batman with Bruce gone. This issue proves that to me hands down. Tim is still too young and Dick has been training for this since he became Robin. Don't get me wrong, I love the Nightwing persona, but if someone is going to take over the mantle it should be Dick Grayson. His showdown with Two-Face was beautiful.




Twilight - The Movie


I was pleasantly surprised at how much I ended up enjoying this movie adaptation of Stephanie Meyer's Twilight novel. I enjoyed it so much, in fact, that I'm going to see it again with a friend on Thursday. I will warn people though, unless you've read the book you will probably consider it a chick flick. It is a love story at the core and it focuses on character interaction and development before anything else. Still, my only minor complaint was I feel that there were some instances where it would have made more sense to downplay the vampire powers - such as the high up in the trees scene that had nothing to do with the book. Like I said, minor. I found the movie to be very enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment