Wednesday, September 19, 2012

DC Comics Presents #0: One Maddeningly Aggrevating Comic -- A Rant

So I go to my LCS today and am seriously thinking about picking up the new Sword & Sorcery book featuring Amethyst.  The art looks good, the concept is sound and I do have the unread Maxi-Series around the house somewhere.  But what really catches my eye is the DC Comics Presents Zero Issue that features Mr. Terrific, Hawk & Dove, something I don't remember, Deadman and O.M.A.C! 

O.M.A.C was one of the few New 52 titles that I really liked (other than Supergirl) and I even wrote up a couple of reviews for it (use the search feature).  Unfortunately, it was cancelled after issue #8 (way to abrupt of an ending) and then the character (devoid of its cool Kevin Kho-ness) was shuffled into Justice League International.  Despite my fondness of the series I couldn't support his other appearances, especially since they turned him into a Blue Hulk.  However, today, we had the original Didio and Giffen creative team detailing the origin (from two years previously) on ten beautiful pages. 

Ten pages of an oversized SIX DOLLAR BOOK!!!  That's 60 cents a page!  DC just collected the whole series about a month ago and this extra chapter will never see the light of day again.  I really really wanted to get it, but the principle of paying so much for so little -- Well, I just couldn't do it.  I spent a good bit of time this weekend agonizing over whether or not to pick up some brand new 70% off DC Archives from CheapGrapicNovels.com where in each volume I would get at least 240 pages for only $15.  Did I have the money to get the book?  Yes, but I'm trying to avoid impulse purchases.  Could I have read the story in the store?  Of course, but that would've just made me want to get it more. UGGGGGH! Talk about frustrating.  If you're going to abandon the character then just abandon him already -- don't string the faithful readers along with brief guest shots and paltry page stories.   This all made me give up on getting Amethyst too -- it's not like I need to add a new book to my list or anything.

To make matters worse, I ended up paying six cents more per gallon filing up my station wagon's tank on the way home.  That 66 cents would have paid for one page of the O.M.A.C story.  I guess it all comes down to how much you love a character.  I probably would've paid that amount for ten new pages of Spider-Girl by DeFalco and Frenz.

No comments:

Post a Comment