Tuesday, September 18, 2012

What I’m Getting September 19


Next week is more of where   want my list as I only have 20 items. If you want to see the entire list of comics for next week click here. All in all I have to say that this week is mixed bag with a bunch of good books but nothing that is screaming at me to be the can’t wait book of the week. Also I think I’m getting this post down to a reasonable length.

Let’s break things down a little differently this time. First up let’s talk new series. From DC we have Sword of Sorcery #0 and Ghost #0 from Dark Horse. I was never a fan of Amethyst and I’m not sure why I’m even trying this book out. Ghost #0 is a revival from Dark Horse and the truth is I remember Ghost more for Adam Hughes drawing her than anything else. I’m curious to see if Ghost is being done as a total new start up or if they are trying to build on what has gone before. I’m hoping for the later. I think Ghost would work best as a noir type series.

The standard fare material is thin with Batwoman #0, Birds of Prey #0, Nightwing #0, Wonder Woman #0, Daredevil #18 and Dark Avengers #181. I hate to include Wonder Woman and Daredevil as standard fare as both are outstanding series. I realize that DD can never truly be changed but Waid is doing a fantastic job of at least giving us a different color as opposed to just a fresh coat of paint in the same shade. Wonder Woman has been terrific as an actual different take on the character. The Wonder Woman series exist in its own corner of the DCU and never needs to see the rest of that universe in my view. Batwoman I’m almost done with.  JH Williams as a co-writer and driver of the bus is a fantastic artist but his story has been way too long and boring. Plus I miss that Amy Reeder is not the second artist on the book. I love her work and would buy a book to just see her artwork. Nightwing is another book I’m on the edge with and may drop soon. It is not bad, it is just the de-aging has made him too young.



I’m giving 2 DC books second chances this week with Justice League #0 and Legion of Super Heroes #0. This is the second issue in a row with JL and it0 maybe a book that has to go on my list because it may be a key book for the DCU. LOSH is just my die hard love for the group hoping a new artist can inspire Paul Levitz back to his glory days on the book. I have absolutely loved World’s Finest by Levitz but Legion was unreadable by the same writer.

I’m getting one hard cover this week, 100 Bullets Volume 3. I never actually finished the entire series and sold all the trades. Now I wait until I have all the volumes before reading it. That means it will be a long time before I finish the Azzarello / Risso masterpiece.

The rest is a truly mixed bag with Fables #121 and Hellblazer #295 from Vertigo, Before Watchmen Nite Owl #3 (of 4) from DC, Revival #3 and Walking Dead #102 from Image, Dark Horse gives me Lobster Johnson Caput Mortuum #1, IDW gives us Cobra #17 and Godzilla Half Century War #2 (of 5) and finally from Dynamite The Shadow #5. Godzilla Half Century War was a late add for me as I picked up issue #1 a couple of weeks late. It is by James Stokoe of Orc Stain fame. I never read Orc Stain but have heard good things about him and decided to give this a try. He immediately got the book right; the story is about an individual soldier who is recruited into fighting the monster. A mindless monster can’t be your focus and an unlimited series becomes boring for this type of material. Instead Stokoe is delivering a fast paced story that is full of Tokyo stomping and great character moments. John Layman wrote a great Godzilla mini-series and I’m looking forward to more fun with this series. Of course the week has other perennial favorites with Lobster Johnson and Walking Dead being the other two that jump out at me.

That puts a finish on this week’s installment. Come on back next Tuesday so we can pre-flight for new comic book day.  

1 comment:

  1. I think Godzilla: Half-Century War is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete