Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Indies Preview Review for November Part 2 of 2


Drawn & Quarterly
Key Moments from the History of Comics SC by (W) Francois Ayroles (A) Various
This limited edition chapter book sharply satirizes the most important figures and institutions in the comics industry! A fantastic and funny read for alternative and literary comics fans, Key Moments humorously imagines the pivotal events that shaped everyone from Chris Ware and Charles Schultz to Jack Kirby and Will Eisner, from Herge and Uderzo to MAD and RAW. Printed in an edition of just 1,000 copies, this chap-book is sure to be sought after by art-comix fans for years to come. Will not be reoffered, or available for reorder. $10.00 Mature Content
Lee: I’m really not sure what to make of this. But, anything that pokes comix fun at the funny book business can’t be all that bad. Of course, the “Mature Content” label makes me wonder what all’s going on inside these pages even more.
Jim: For $10 I'm willing to try this out. The solicitation has intrigued me.

Evil Twin Comics
More Than Complete Action Philosophers SC by (W) Fred Van Lente (A) Ryan Dunlavey
The best-selling, award-winning comic book series that tells the lives and thoughts of history's A-list brain trust in hip and hilarious fashion has been collected into a single volume! The stories from the original nine-issue run, plus four all-new stories only in this volume, have been placed in chronological order, making this the most complete comics history of ideas ever put on paper, beginning with the Pre-Socratics and ending with Jacques Derrida! $24.99
Lee: Jim turned me onto Action Philosophers a long time ago. And, now, I can get one book with all the published stories plus four new ones. If you missed this the first time around then you’re in luck because it’s back!
Jim: This book is mine, plus at least one extra copy or so. I love giving this book away to non-comic people as the best educational book around. BEST BOOK OF THE MONTH!

Fantagraphics Books
Comics Journal #301
Comics artist Kevin ONeill explains how he broke into the comics field at 16 and discusses how his artistic vision meshes with writer Alan Moore's on the hit series League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and the title's switch from DC to indy publisher Top Shelf. Syndicated political cartoonist and Academy-award-nominated animator Bill Plympton also talks about his long and varied career. $11.99
Lee: I’m really excited about this because TCJ does some of the best artist interviews. The interview is full of insight and should basically cover Kevin’s entire career. Always well done, and a chance to learn about an artist who isn’t very high profile in America.
Jim: The Journal is known for very in depth interviews and actually sometimes ask tough questions as oppossed to the fluff pieces most people (including me) do when interviewing creators.

IDW Publishing
Art of Steve Ditko HC
Steve Ditko, the co-creator of Spider-Man and Dr. Strange, remains an enigma, though this book draws us closer to the artist and gives us a better understanding of his amazing work. Introducing the very best of rare and striking Steve Ditko comic book stories and original art, this large-format beautifully showcases Ditko's work, with many reproductions of original art pieces by the master comic book artist. Edited and designed by Craig Yoe (Secret Identity), with essays by P. Craig Russell, John Romita, and Jerry Robinson, plus an all-new introduction by Stan Lee. Hardcover. Full Color. 208 Pages 9.5 x 12.5 $29.99
Lee: I’m getting this but I’m going to have to start drawing the line on Ditko material somewhere. This is the third of fourth book full of Ditko art in the last year alone. I love Ditko as much as the next guy but he’s starting to overwhelm my collection.
Jim: I love Ditko, but also will have to eventually say I have enough Ditko in my collection but I still need more of his DC work collected.

Family Circus Library Vol. 01 HC by Bil Keane (w & a & c)
Celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Family Circus! The Family Circus Library, Vol. 1 by Bil Keane collects the classic newspaper strip in chronological order for the very first time, in beautifully designed hardcover books. Starting with the very first strip, originally published on February 29th, 1960, The Family Circus Library, Vol.1 will feature a complete run of the first two years, including dailies and Sundays. Beautifully produced by Eisner award-winning designer, Dean Mullaney, the mastermind of the Library of American Comics, and just in time for the 50th anniversary of one of America's most popular and beloved strips! Hardcover. Full Color. 240 Pages 11 x 7.5 $39.99
Lee: The modern day Family Circus is crap! It’s so soppily wholesome it’s disgusting. BUT, when it started it was something different. When it started, it was good and the material still holds up today. I’m very, very interested but I’m having trouble with the $40 price tag.
Jim: Really, it was good? I only remember the series being crap. Let me borrow this if you buy it.

Next Men Premiere ed. Vol. 02 HC by John Byrne (w & a & c)
Presenting the second in a series of IDW Premiere hardcover collections featuring John Byrne's Next Men. Presenting the color pages in an oversize format, follow the adventures of the Next Men as they come to grips with their unfathomable past, and the role they have yet to play in preventing the future demise of mankind! Including the M4 backup stories which later merge into the main storyline, Next Men is comic storytelling and illustration pulsing at its best. Volume 2 collects Next Men #11-20. Hardcover. w/DJ Full Color. 312 Pages 7 X 11 $50.00
Lee: I don’t know when/where I missed the first Next Men collection but now I’m interested. From what I understand, it’s supposed to be pretty good. And, this is a nice way to get a whole bunch of issues in a nice format. It’s a little pricey but if you love Byrne then this is a must have.
Jim: I enjoyed Next Men and I believe I may still own the comics, but I doubt it. I forget how Byrne ended it, but I remember the beginning of the story and it was well done.

Pure Imagination Publishing
Bill Ward's Torchy Vol. 02 SC by (A) Bill Ward, Gill Fox
America's blonde bombshell returns for a second outing! If you like heels and hose, this is the book for you, with reprints from Modern Comics and Torchy Comics. Each page has been Theakstonised for the best possible reproduction. $25.00
Lee: I’ve tried several times now to swear off the Pure Imagination reprints but THEY ARE SO GOOD! And, it’s material I can’t get elsewhere so I’m getting this one. If you haven’t see Torchy then you don’t know what you’re missing. It’s good girl art by one of the masters of good girl art. Beautifully drawn and very funny.
Jim: Yet I have to draw the line and I will draw it on this book.

Lee: As always there's plenty of good stuff to try from classic GA material to newer stuff. And, lots of shiney new hc's too. Lots to choose from but I still wish the list were longer.
Jim: I'm happy with Ditko and Action Philosophers!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete