Thursday, September 10, 2009

Strange Discussions

Have you ever wondered what the Comics And... crew does when we aren't working on the blog? Typically it's more of the same silliness that you read about just without a focus on comics. For example, the other day when Jim forwarded one of those wonderful internet lists to a bunch of us. I’m sure everyone has seen it by this time, but it was titled “Random thoughts from people our age...”

There were some funny lines in the list like:
-Is it just me, or are 80% of the people in the "people you may know" feature on Facebook people that I do know, but I deliberately choose not to be friends with?

-That's enough, Nickelback.

-Do you remember when you were a kid, playing Nintendo and it wouldn't work? You take the cartridge out, blow in it and that would magically fix the problem. Every kid in America did that, but how did we all know how to fix the problem? There was no internet or message boards or FAQ's. We just figured it out. Today's kids are soft.



-The only time I look forward to a red light is when I’m trying to finish a text.


- Lol has gone from meaning, "laugh out loud" to "I have nothing else to say".


-I like all of the music in my iTunes, except when it's on shuffle, then I like about one in every fifteen songs in my iTunes.




Anyway, it generated the following conversation.
Friend X chimed in first: I did not have a nintendo - but our friends did, and I used to play it at their house. So early to mid 30's would be my guess on the writer's age. I'd say it's fairly easy to tell even without the nintendo clue. I did think it was pretty funny, even if I'm out of the cultural loop and have never texted or used facebook.
Thomm: I’m with you on the texting and Facebook. I don’t see any utility in either, and have only done the former when absolutely necessary (usually my pain nephew who doesn’t pick up his phone). My wife spends way too much time on Facebook.

Lee: I'm convinced that Facebook is women. Texting is for kids. And Twitter is for complete idiots. My wife also spends too much time on facebook. But she says I spend too much time on ebay so I guess it's fair. My justification, at least at the end of the day at least I have cool stuff to show for it!
Jim: To note how much of a time waster Facebook is, I believe it is one of only two or three websites blocked at my work.

Thomm: I’m happy to say my wasted time is in books, comics and TV, the big three in dinosaur media. Of course, with maintaining the house, getting kids around to activities, work, and exercise, I don’t have a lot of time to waste. Good thing football season is nigh. I always make the time to waste for Steelers, Eagles and Ravens games.
Jim: My waste is comics, watching football/baseball and blogging - but there we are entertaining others

Thomm: You hope.
Lee: I know we entertain people. Entertain and annoy and piss off and make angry. We get all the good emotions!

Lee: My waste of time is comics, blogging, ebay... AND talking to my wife. You would not believe how much time THAT activity consumes.
Thomm: I think I get a flavor for it from your slice of life postings…

Lee: HHHHEEEYYYYY!!!!!

I think the only thing the three of us didn’t mention as a time waster were the 47 emails that we sent back’n forth to each other that day. Turns out it wasn’t a waste because it’s this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment