Saturday, February 07, 2009

A Fistful of Reviews: Belated


Air #6 (Vertigo)


I continue to love this book. This issue we get to find out why Amelia Earhart is still alive and Blythe gets to learn more about what exactly she can do. The cliffhanger ending was especially brilliant. Both art and story maintain a quality of excellence that makes reading this book a pleasure. My favorite thing is how I never can predict what's going to happen next!




Tangent #11 (DC)


While this issue was somewhat confusing it kept the flow of the plot moving. Overall I've had fun with this storyline. I like how Batman has coordinated everyones efforts and the back story has been fun as well. I look forward to the conclusion next issue.




X-Factor #39 (Marvel)


This issue was just wrong on so many levels. It does keep things interesting though. I did not expect what was done here at all. That's actually hard to find in comics these days. Yet, I can't say I really enjoyed the story, it was a bit to harsh for that. Even so, I'm interested to see where the story can possibly go from here.




Deathstroke #1 - Faces of Evil (DC)


Wow, they just made Deathstroke an even worse bad guy. Honestly I thought he was just fine the way he was but this should certainly prove an interesting turn for the character. I really hope Rose ends up becoming a better person - I liked her much better in her Titan days and really feel like she has a chance to be something more then a 3rd tier villain.




Scalped trades #1,2 (Vertigo)


Jim picked up the first two trades of this series for me and I was pleasantly surprised to discover how much I enjoyed reading them. While my praise isn't as high as Jim's for this book I have to say - for something from a genre I'm not a fan of it blew me away. This is a well written dynamic story that keeps one step ahead of you - even when you know part of what happens next. The art is dark and gritty but after awhile I learned to love it and can't imagine an artist more suited to the story. What a unique take on a murder noir type tale.




Locke and Key (IDW)


Jim had voted this story as the best miniseries of 2008 and I can see why. This is a story grounded in our own world (essentially) with a house where certain keys can open up doors to seemingly infinite possibilities. The story of a family dealing with the loss of the father is dealt with well, and yet it's just the backdrop to the puppeteering going on behind the scenes. I'm really glad I had the chance to read this story and I hope to see more stories from this beginning.




Bone Crossed - Patricia Briggs


This is the fourth installment of the Mercy Thomson series - a series which I think I enjoy more than any other book in the same genre (Anita Blake, Sookie Stackhouse, ect). The reason I enjoy these stories so much is because it's a series where the main character actually gets to learn, grow and change. For example, in the last book Mercy was a victim of rape. Instead of having her just be strong and get over it (or break down and give up) Briggs actually comes up with realistic ways for her to deal with the repercussions. She has panic attacks, is uncomfortable being touch, has flashbacks... and yet is slowly learning how to move past all of it. Also, uncommon as it is with this genre, Mercy actually seems to be getting a chance at romantic happiness with a character who has stood by her through all of this. I respect an author that can advance her character rather than just write and rewrite whatever seem to sell.

No comments:

Post a Comment