Friday, November 12, 2010

DC Preview Review for January 2011 Part 3 of 2

Lee: I CANNOT BE STOPPED! I have things to say!!!!! So today, is part 3 of 2 days of DC picks. But, because Gwen whined, I promise not to pick booby covers. Instead I shall just b*tch about the general state of affairs. ONWARD TO VICTORY!
Gwen: You just like creating more work for me :(

STARMAN /CONGORILLA #1
Written by James Robinson Art by Brett Booth
Cover by Gene Ha ONE-SHOT• 32 pg, FC, $2.99
SHAZAM! #1
Script by Eric Wallace Art by Cliff Richards
Cover by Cliff Chiang ONE-SHOT • 32 pg, FC, $2.99
STEEL #1
Written by Steve Lyons Art by Sean Chen
Cover by Alex Garner ONE-SHOT • 32 pg, FC, $2.99
WONDER GIRL #1
Written by JT Krul Art by Adriana Melo & Mariah Benes
Cover by Nicola Scott & Doug Hazlewood ONE-SHOT • 32 pg, FC, $2.99
Lee: I can’t even begin to express my frustration at this set of books. We complain about Marvel flooding the market with pointless books all the time and now DC is joining in the fun! Seriously, what is wrong with these people? What we have here is a set of 4 books that have little to no tie into current continuity, all being released as one shots.
Gwen: I swear we already talked about some of these...
Lee: You talked about one of these. And you missed the point! DC heard the fans and rolled back the prices, but they are still deaf to the fact that there are too many books on the stands. I'm glad you like Shazam but what is the point of a single issue with no follow up anywhere in the DCU. It just bleeds the fans dry.
Gwen: We also talked about Congarilla sir... you're just being redundant.

WEIRD WORLDS #1
Written by Kevin Van Hook, Aaron Lopresti and Kevin MaguireArt by Jerry Ordway, Aaron Lopresti & Matt Ryan and Kevin MaguireCover by JustinianoWelcome to one of the weirdest titles DC has ever assembled – 6 issues filled with stories of monsters, ghouls and far-out cosmic craziness! Each month, you’ll be treated to new 10-page chapters in three exciting serials. In this debut issue, Kevin Van Hook and Jerry Ordway bring you the continuing adventures of Lobo, everyone’s favorite Czarnian (after all, he’s the only one left, so he’d better be your favorite). Aaron Lopresti introduces you to his newest creation, the kind-hearted monster called Garbageman. And Kevin Maguire takes you to the farthest reaches of outer space with the introduction of a hero called Tanga! #1 of 6 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99
Lee: DC can’t make a bi-weekly book with shortened stories (Brightest Day) work so let’s do it once a month. I want to love this book but I’m not sure I care. The art looks great so I’ll take a peak but I’m not promising to buy it.
Gwen: This looks fairly boring to me... hence why I didn't pick it.
Lee: You look fairly boring to me too but I still work with you.

JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #53
Written by James Robinson
Art by Mark Bagley, Rob Hunter & Norm Rapmund
Cover by Mark Bagley & Rob Hunter
The final chapter of “JLA Omega” arrives as the World’s Greatest Heroes and the Crime Syndicate struggle for survival. But the Syndicate’s betrayal of their own pact results in a final, savage confrontation – and Ultraman does some betraying of his own! Can the JLA defeat Omega Man, the harbinger of death? Can they save the Crime Syndicate’s world and the Tangent Universe? And in the midst of this war between good and evil, which side will Dark Supergirl choose? 32 pg, FC, $2.99
Lee: Wow, is it me or does this look bad? Everyone knows that I am not a huge DC guy but even I know that the JLA should contain more than TWO recognizable characters. Seriously, the new JLA contains Congorilla? Are you kidding me? This is not the way for DC to create cross over appeal for Marvel Zombies.
Gwen: JLA is a terrible book of late.

BATMAN: EUROPA #1
Story by Brian Azzarello & Matteo Casali
Written by Matteo Casali
Layout art by Giuseppe Camuncoli Painted art/cover by Jim Lee
Superstar artist Jim Lee returns to The Dark Knight with this painted issue! The impossible has happened and Batman is on the verge of being taken down by an enemy he cannot defeat: a virus for which there is no cure! And his only possible hope for salvation is The Joker! Who infected Batman, what does the Clown Prince of Crime know, and how will The Dark Knight get that information? Together, the enemies crisscross Europe, desperate to find answers before time runs out. This 4-issue miniseries event will feature painted art by many of the industry’s top talents over layouts by the incomparable Giuseppe Camuncoli. Future artists providing stunning overlay paints will include Diego Latorre (Dante’s Inferno) and Jock (Detective Comics), with the first issue painted by none other than Jim Lee!#1 of 4, 40 pg, FC, $3.99
Lee: This is a pure art book! And, as such I can’t wait to see it… in a fancy, oversized hc that is. I hate to be cynical but 4 painted books being released on time is impossible in this day and age. Unless they are already done, the over-under for completion of the series is 1 year. I’m sure it will be pretty, I just hope it gets completed.
Gwen: Lee likes pretty things.

THE NEW YORK FIVE #1
Written by Brian Wood Art by Ryan Kelly
Cover by Brian Wood & Ryan Kelly
There’s nothing more exciting than college life in the big city. But complications can follow you from dark places “ and not just from your boring hometown. In The New York Five, Riley’s sister Angie is making a name in the Lower East Side with her new band, and now Riley is the black sheep of the family. Lona’s murky past appears to have been hiding an alarming proficiency for stalkerism, and Merissa and Ren will confront uncomfortable situations involving older men. But who is the five in The New York Five? #1 of 4, 32 pg, B&W, no interior ads $2.99
Lee: Brian Wood is one of those must-read writers for me. Between DV8, DMZ, & Northlanders he just just producing amazing work these days. And, the best part, 32 pages with no ads. This book is a steal and an easy buy on sight for me.
Gwen: Is stalkerism an actual word? Regardless this has little appeal for me.

Lee: Gwen did a great job picking this month but there’s just no stopping my stupidity…. I mean rants. There is no stopping my rants.
Gwen: Well at least we skipped the boob covers...
Lee: People liked the boob covers....

3 comments:

  1. Nothing wrong with boob covers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never understand the gripes about the one shots that have naught to do with continuity. This is precisely what I like to see. Stand alone stories that I can get or skip at will. It's far better than the convoluted, company wide "events" that require purchase of books that have no interest to me but for being "essential" to understanding the "event".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thomm-

    You miss the points of the one shots... the fact that there is no point. They serve no purpose other than to flood the market.

    I don't mind one shots when they are some what thematic, The war stories one shots for example. Unfortunately, there is no long term market for a continuing war story these days so one shots or 5 week specials are the only way to see them.

    There are hundreds of superhero books on the stands these days. Why do I need a one shot of Steel?

    ReplyDelete