Saturday, August 02, 2008

Image Preview Reviews for October


Jim: Image is a little light on new projects this month. That never stops Lee and I from finding some material to talk about anyway.

Lee: There’s always something to comment on. But, even a slow image month is better than a Secret Invasion Zombie Cover Cross-over month.

SPAWN #185 - story TODD McFARLANE & BRIAN HOLGUINart WHILCE PORTACIO & TODD McFARLANEcover TODD McFARLANE What new surprises can come out of a book that’s been around more than 180 issues? A LOT! Featuring a brand-new creative team and the return of two Image Comics founders - TODD McFARLANE and WHILCE PORTACIO! Get ready for an event as big as issue #1! OCTOBER 29 - 32 PAGES - FC - $2.95
Jim: I don’t know anyone who reads Spawn, I don’t recall every seeing articles about Spawn. Good luck on trying to regenerate interest in your creation again Todd.
Lee: OOHHH I sense some negativity about the product. Then again, it’s an accurate statement. Spawn has been published for a very very long time but I don’t know anyone who reads it either.


THE WALKING DEAD 2009 CALENDAR art TONY MOORE & CHARLIE ADLARD12 of the most heart-stopping images from comics’ premiere horror series!
OCTOBER 1 - 8.5” x 11” - $14.99
Jim: No. Don’t get me wrong, I love the Walking Dead series and I enjoy Charles Adlard’s artwork, but I do not need a year of Zombie’s hanging on my wall. Not to mention it would fly like a lead balloon with my wife.
Lee: Huummm. That is a tough call. Super cool calendar or wife. Zombie calendar. Wife. I’m glad I don’t have to make that decision.

THE MICE TEMPLAR, VOL. 1: THE PROPHECY HC by BRYAN J. L. GLASSart & cover MICHAEL AVON OEMINGcolor WIL QUINTANA
Collecting the first six issues of the acclaimed ongoing series. Before their fall, the Templar preserved the order of the natural world, maintaining the balance of life and death for all creatures. But an ideological dispute pitted the noble brotherhood against itself, where they destroyed themselves in a vicious civil war. Chaos descended in their wake, where predatory and scavenger creatures now reign supreme bringing anarchy to the night world of the Shadow Time. Yet the young mouse Karic receives visions from the gods that their creator Wotan has chosen him to challenge the imbalance and restore the order of the fallen Templar. And thus begins the first chapter in an extraordinary adventure of magic and wonder, faith and valor, and of one small mouse whose destiny might change the entire world.
Collects THE MICE TEMPLAR #1-6
OCTOBER 29 - 200 pg - FC - $29.99
Lee: I am interested in this because I remember the art being really, really good. The first issue got marginal reviews and I haven’t heard anything sense. With all the hc’s on the market I’m hard pressed to get another one just because the art is really good. Unless someone tells me I really missed something good, this will be a pass.
Jim: I got the first two issues and totally lost interest in the story. The writer stated it was some story telling versus final production issue and that issue #3 gets a lot better. I never found out and sure as heck will not be buying the hard cover.

OUTLAW TERRITORY, VOL. 1 GN
by Greg Pak, Joe Kelly, Khoi Pham, Dean Motter, Joshua Ortega, Steven Grant, William Simpson, Ivan Brandon, Andy MacDonald, Joshua Hale Fialkov, Max Fiumara, Johnny Timmons, Michael Woods, and more.
cover GREG RUTH
Outlaw Territory is a collection of stories from a rougher and grittier time in America. Tales of the old west from some of the best and brightest writers in the industry, lavishly illustrated by amazing talent both new and experienced. This book is sure to appeal to fans of such television and film as Deadwood and 3:10 To Yuma, as well as the work of No Country For Old Men author Cormac McCarthy.
OCTOBER 15 - 240 pg - FC - $19.99
Jim: Are you kidding me the sprocking cover almost sold me. (Yes, I have been reading a lot of Abnett/Lanning Legion recently). This is a great idea to try and do an anthology as a graphic novel from the jump. I have my copy on pre-order already.
Lee: Eh. I like cowboys and all but the art needs to be really good to sell me on this material. I just don’t know if I’m sold on the art. Heck, I don’t’ recognize half the names and the hype doesn’t even say any of the usual stuff about “an outstanding collection of writers producing their best material EVER!” Without that kind of pointless hype I just can’t commit.

JACK STAFF #21 story PAUL GRISTart PAUL GRISTcover IAN CHURCHILL
Part 1 of a 2-part story. The heroes of Castletown have to fight together against the menace of the Muddy Man! Includes bonus stories featuring Alfred Chinard and Morlan the Mystic!
OCTOBER 8 - 32 PAGES - FC - $3.50
Lee: WOW! This cover isn’t even close to what the interior pages are going to look like. Some fan boy is in for a really rude awakening because Grist’s art doesn’t look anything like Churchills. And, for the record, Grist’s is better.
Jim: A very bold statement to say Grist is a better artist. I understand what you mean, but Churchill has a broader appeal with his style then Grist. Still I never sure if a cover helps sell more copies when a book like this is not being ordered enough to be sitting on the racks at a comic store.

DNAGENTS: INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH EDITION TP story MARK EVANIERart & cover WILL MEUGNIOT
MARK EVANIER and WILL MEUGNIOT 's DNAGENTS may well have been the prototype for today's comic book industry. Not only was it released through one of the first independent publishers, not only was it creator-owned, but it was prescient in its use of genetic manipulation to create superpowers and its setting in the halls of an evil multi-national corporation! Award-winning television writer/producer, EVANIER and acclaimed animation producer/director, MEUGNIOT were clearly ahead of the curve and DNAGENTS remains one of the most fondly remembered books of the 1980s!
OCTOBER 15 - 452 PAGES - BW - $24.99
Jim: I was all set to buy this, but I rather have the material in color. I liked the DNAgents, but for some reasons I can not define I need the collection to be in color.
Lee: I wasn’t old enough to appreciate Meugniot’s art when this was first published. It wasn’t Gulacy or Perez so I wasn’t bothering. So, since I don’t have a fondness for the characters I would like a smaller chunk and color. I’m glad it’s in print, but I hope they do more with it later.

BOMB QUEEN V #6 (of 6) Story JIMMIE ROBINSONart & cover JIMMIE ROBINSON
“THE DIVINE COMEDY,” Part SixThe final chapter of Bomb Queen’s battle with The White Knight - but there’s more at stake than a mere blood brawl. Mysterious origins are revealed leading to a trail of death and destruction. Now the Queen’s greatest foe… is the TRUTH!
OCTOBER 29 - 32 PAGES - FC - $3.50
RETAILER WARNING: MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR ALL AGES
Lee: Bomb Queen has basically been eliminated from the Embarrassed to be a Fanboy cover selection because it’s always so incredible bad. Basically it was removed from contention so some of other poor boob could win. But, this month BQ out does herself. And, just in case you couldn’t tell from the cover there is the handy dandy RETAILER WARNING. Just in case you weren’t convinced by the cover.
Jim: The cover is just gross looking.

THE TED McKEEVER LIBRARY, BOOK ONE: TRANSIT HC Story TED McKEEVERart & cover TED McKEEVER
Spud, a self-proclaimed urban rebel, finds that when he inadvertently becomes involved in a political nightmare of power and corruption, he's going to need a lot more than half a can of spray-paint and a pair of worn out roller blades to survive. That is, if the entire city itself doesn't self-destruct before it's all over!
Contains all five original issues of the series, and the never-before-published final chapter. Plus a full gallery of unpublished art, character designs, ads and more!
OCTOBER 1 - 156 PAGES - BW - $24.99
Jim: This could very easily have been from almost any indy publisher out there. Ted McKeever is not going to draw in a huge audience, but he is a unique voice.
Lee: I’m in. I liked Ted’s art in the day and I’m sure I’ll like it even more now. And Ted always tells interesting stories which is great too.

SAVAGE #1 (of 4) story STEVE NILES, JEFF FRANK & DANIEL WICKLINEart & cover MIKE MAYHEW
Peter is a shoe salesman desperate for a life transformation. Sam is a hunter of things that would scare the hell out of lesser men. These two will collide in the middle of an epic battle between vicious werewolves and the legendary Big Foot. And that’s just the beginning…
OCTOBER 29 - 32 PAGES - FC - $3.50
Jim: The last series Niles did with this group I dropped. Still it is Steve Niles, so I will try out this series to see what I think. I’m coming into with lower expectations than I would normally for a book with Nile’s name on it.
Lee: Steve Niles isn’t an automatic sell for me. The premise sounds good enough but not new product $3.50 good. Let me know how it is.

NOBLE CAUSES #39 story JAY FAERBERart YILDIRAY CINAR, RALPH NIESE & RYAN VERAcover YILDIRAY CINAR & RALPH NIESE
So why did Celeste marry a senile old super-hero? Find out this issue, as the facts surrounding the courtship and marriage of Colonel Comet and Celeste are finally revealed!
OCTOBER 22 - 32 PAGES - FC - $3.50
Jim: I’m choosing this book for three reasons.
1) I like this series a lot and I think other people who enjoyed Marvel comics from the early sixties will get into this series if they buy a few issues of it.
2) The cover is such a great homage to the old Romance comics of yore.
3) Image was light on the new stuff, so I felt the post had room for looking in on a series.
Lee: I do hear lots of good things about this series. I’ll try the trade when it comes out. Good choice for filler though.

INVINCIBLE #57 story ROBERT KIRKMANart & cover RYAN OTTLEY & FCO PLASCENCIA
CROSSOVER PART ONE!GUEST-STARRING THE ASTOUNDING WOLF-MAN!In part one of a two-part crossover, Invincible sets off on a mission to bring the fugitive Wolf-Man to justice. To be continued in THE ASTOUNDING WOLF-MAN #11.
OCTOBER 8 - 32 PAGES - FC - $2.99
Jim: This is very interesting. Kirkman is now an Image partner and is essentially done with Marvel and is putting his heart and soul back into creator owned material. That is a good thing as I never felt other stuff was that strong to begin with. Both of his books have been late as heck and to do a cross-over when he has not had either book shipping even close to being on time. Good luck!
Lee: I agree its good to get Kirkman back but how much time will he have. Larsen had a heck of time with Savage Dragon and running the company so I bet Kirkman will have the same issues. I don’t expect any improvements in the short term unfortunately.

Jim: Image is the first of the “bigger” companies to put so many straight to graphic novel books out there and I wonder if that is working as a strategy. I hope so as I think the industry needs to find its way out of just being in specialty stores.
Lee: I still like lots of the Image offerings no matter how they do them. Another good month by my standards.

No comments:

Post a Comment