Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Organizational Skill

I don't know what life is like in your house, but at my house its a constant struggle to be organized. I have three children, and like typical children they are walking tornadoes. Within minutes of walking into a clean room they can have toys, paper, and trash spread out over every square inch of it. This leads to most of the house being a disaster that my wife and I struggle to keep in some state of clean and organized.

I don't claim to be the most organized person in the world but I try my best. Actually, at this point, I take whatever small victories that I can. Case in point, I like to keep the dishes organized.

I typically empty the dishwasher so there aren't any problems. But, occasionally, Wife tries to help me. As you can see in the photo to the right, we have a large number of plastic cups for the kids. I have arranged them so you can see just how many we have.


If Wife stacks the cups she creates a a stack like this one! I'm sure that I have don't have to explain how awful the aesthetics of this particular stack is. Just looking at all the mixed up colors sets my nerves on edge. Not to mention the odds of giving two kids cups of the same color at meal time. It's just unacceptable.






But, with a little planning and thought you can get beautiful looking stacks like these! The cups are organized so that they are pleasing to the eye. Each stack is the organized according to spectrum. AND, no matter what, each child gets their own color. This is cup stacking perfection!

Sometimes, people feel that comic book collecting doesn't teach a person real life skills but I would disagree. Why, if it weren't for all those ridiculous long boxes in my basement I might never have been this good at cup stacking. This is pure talent honed to perfection through years of comic collecting.

My wife has assured me that there is an official name for my skill. She calls it anal retentive-ism.

3 comments:

  1. Good diagnosis by Wife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I beleive all collectors have a touch of OCD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OCD??? Who said anything about OCD.

    Let's not be making stuff up now.

    ReplyDelete